Autodesk Stingray

Devin Johnston

I think it all depends on what Beast requires to generate lightmaps. If it is as cumbersome as Unreal and Unity 3D then the tight integration elsewhere could be a moot point.

I am also interested to see how they make this tool available outside of the two avenues that they have mentioned so far, as a companion in the Maya LT subscription and per month SaaS subscriptions with term contract discounts.

One of their intro videos for the product on youtube is specifically about architectural design visualization, so at least we know we are targeted users of this product.

Autodesk bought them a while back and are a bit behind imo. Unity and unreal are both free and have a solid track record of development. Autodesk does not have a good track record when it comes to purchased products so if Stingray fits exactly what you need right now, I'm sure it will be fine but I wouldn't go betting the farm on it. Anytime Autodesk markets an app as 'seamless', I am instantly skeptical. It would be better if they tried marketing it as a new app to add to the suite that won't make me want to put a fork in my eye. I'd settle for that.

Stingray is targeting a 45 day update cycle so that alone is enough to scare me away. i need reliable and predictable production tools. With projects that can last a year, 45 day updates mean 8 opportunities/year to completely kill my work.

As far as supporting vray, I'm sure it is just like the others. Bake it in before exporting. Their realtime images of the interiors on the website were all pre-rendered anyway.

Meh, it's $30 a month for the basic subscription and $50 for one with advanced help. UE4 is free all the way so let's see where I decide to put my money. I sat through a demo of an early version at last year's AU and it does look good. But it's not worth a monthly fee when there are far better engines out there. Plus, while the demo was good, it was in no way relative to any sort of real world project workflow.

If Autodesk wants to target architecture, then they need to follow suit with UE4 and make this engine free for architecture. Why free for us? Well, we don't have the revenue stream that games does. Our revenue is essentially one and done and our content has zero resale value outside of the customer we create it for. We are on a fixed cost and revenue, where games are not.

Seamless integration? Like FBX links in Max 2016 that just scale to centimeters even though your system units are set to something different? Like creating a 10x10x10 cube in Max, exporting that cube, and FBX linking it back into the same scene results in a different scale that what was created? That kind of seamless integration? I can see a use for that workflow. I like headaches and breaking features that have worked in the previous 2 versions of the software.

Unfortunately it probably isn't even worth the effort learning, I just can't see any games studios dropping Unity/UE to use this. Minimal use -> minimal support + updates -> canned.

Why don't Autodesk just improve the support existing and more well equipped game engines?

i'm hoping for the best. simple integration, hopefully simple material and lighting things, no need for uber hardware :) not too much longer and we'll be able to hopefuly download demo version, aug 19th they say it'll be available.

The first patch is coming soon for Stingray, yes the software is not even a day old...... I really wouldn't waste your 30 day trial being a bug finder.

Software shouldn't be treated as cell phones, there is no need to be a day 1 adopter unless you like giving yourself hair loss.

You are right. I don't want to learn anooooother software just for the sake of it. If it can do better than unreal i'll eventually try it but for now unreal is free and I doubt Stingray have many advantages over it. I'll wait until I see kick-ass arch viz being made with it before even considering it.

I was on the Stingray beta for some time now ( though only spent some limited time with it )

It's a great concept and has great potential, but is still a little bit incomplete and rough on the edges

I'm not quite sure targeting it for the realtime visualisation segment ( archviz etc.. ) will work at the moment though

For that task, it presents itself ( in it's current form ) as a too complicated application in my eyes, which may drive people off using it...

Over the time, i'm sure some additional intermediate tool layer/interface layer will appear, to help setting up the scenes easier and hide unneeded complexity from the user ...

But the core concepts are really clever and if Autodesk keeps improving and working on the engine it might become a real competitor for Unreal.

Edited by spacefrog

Would you say it's more complicated to use than unreal at the moment?

Honestly, i can't really say. I haven't checked out Unreal besides opening a scene and navigating the viewport

But i have the impression that the modular design of Stingray ( detached editors etc.. ) leads to a bit more confusing and cluttered interface and project handling. And i have the impression that stability sometimes might be not as high as unreal, but that's quite logical for a V1 release. ...

Personally I prefer to have a separate place where my models come to life. It's much more clean in comparison with an in house engine in my opinion. I think Autodesk should keep it's focus on modelling software which they are pro in.

I have been playing around with Unreal and got very impressive results in a few hours on first try. It's very stable and very powerful. It's not all that hard to get a model working in it. But this can also be because I have experience doing this with Unity. There are some small steps to get your model working in Unreal properly ( lighting, lightmaps, collision , etc ) but it's very friendly.

The result of a simple scene made in a few hours with zero experience in Unreal.

11202860_935674676499882_4690968967378651402_n.jpg