What is your Title at your firm?

B.Klopp85

I am in the process of developing an Arch. Viz department within an architectural company, and am wondering what titles people are going by?

I need to set up stages of progression within the department (a workable ladder per say)

What do ya'll think makes sense?

Thanks.

Guest ateliersfrancais

Briliant answer right there... :)

Where I am currently working there is:

Junior 3D Artist

3D Artist

Senior 3D Artist

Director

Manager Director

And somewhere in between, there are the weird guys: the modelers...

Hope it was useful.

''What is your Title at your firm?''

bad ideas: ''fat boy''..''daddy''...''blondie''...''that guy over there''...''hey you!''....well, names are not tiles...

serious now:

I agree with Alexis structure ''Junior 3D Artist'' etc...and then I would add the specific role

''3D Artist-Modelling''... ''3D Artist-Post Pro''...

In my experience relating to in house, pigeon holing people into overly specific roles isn't the best way to go about things. Projects turn into an 'all hands on deck' scenario more often than not and you'll probably find the '3D modeller' (who will likely not exist as architects do the modelling) will become 'the photoshop guy' when it all hits the fan and you need to bang out 5 additional colour options for the cladding at 5:55pm.

Having titles that relate to seniority are useful as people know where they stand while showing a clear path for progression. Having titles that specify one role will likely end up not working out in house, also, unlike the VFX industry, arch vis requires a more generalist role. We had a couple of senior guys, with different specialties, animation, motion graphics whatever... and then a few mids and juniors with the same under us. Their specialities were never listed in their title and this encouraged flexibility, which is useful for personal progression and ultimately the company.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been called a "Maverick Software Installer" and a "Fountain of Knowledge", but generally it's good to let people find their own place and encourage the team effort aspect. I would never call an employer "boss" lest it should go to their head, then I'd have to sack myself :) (quit). Seniority and respect are two different things, but teams do tend to need the driving force of a leader, even if not authoritarian.

I think people enjoy an affectionate title that shows appreciation of their skills, so complementary titles like "Go to Guy" or "Resident Graphics Geek" can be encouraging, so long as they're not miscast as a bad guy. The regular changing of nicknames can be fun reflection of what people bring to the table.

Edited by TomasEsperanza

Thanks for all the great responses.

Now that I have a basic understanding of titles and areas within the company, how is work allocated based on the title of your roles?

For example; is there a cut off point where the 'Director' is no longer involved with the creation of the work, and is only involved with obtaining work?

Thanks in advance.