photoshop/scanner woes

Hi fellers

im trying to access my packardbell flatbed scanner in photoshop. used to work fine, but since the last 2 weeks or so photoshop gives me this message :

twain.jpg

i dont have the original installation disks unfortunately, but i've downloaded the l8est drives, and even the twain_32 dll, but i still get the same message. do i need to put the dll somewhere im not knowing or something maybe? any suggestions?

suprisingly our I.T. manager isn't any help

ta muchly

I found a twain.dll and a twain_32.dll in the C:\windows folder

There was also a file wiatwain.ds in C:\windows\twain_32 folder

I also found a file Twain_32.8BA in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0 CE\Plug-Ins\Import-Export

I suppose that your scanner in usb, so i would suggest removing it and unistall the drivers and then first install the driver again and then plug it back.

I hope i helped...

Strat,

This may seem really obvious, but I get this message if I don't have my scanner powered on when I boot my computer. Also, pull the scanner power plug out of the wall socket, then reconnect and boot the computer. (This can work, believe me - my IT guy does this with troublesome printers as well). Sometimes the most simple (and obvious) solutions can be overlooked. Anyway, thought it was worth mentioning.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I'too, have seen that when the scanner was turned on after the PC. Usually that isn't an issue--I can turn it on anytime, but occasionally it is (W2K SCSI).

My scanner's software installed a stand-alone version which I use when I want a 12bit scan (Photoshop does not read the data correctly, you still get an 8bit file, haven't tried it in CS though). See if you have a version of scanning software that is outside Photoshop to eliminate it as a possible cause of your trouble.

Otherwise...maybe its a dreaded SP2 issue.

it must be a sp2 problem.

i have the same problem both in work and at home with 2 different scanners since sp2 was installed.

the scanners work fine if i access them via their own user interfaces, but programs like photoshop, paintshop pro, irfan view, ms paint etc etc fail to recognise them. firewall on or off.

there must be a patch available for this, only can i find one? can i ****!

Dunno what firewall you are talking about (windows or other software) but there is a new panel wich let you unblock certain ports for every single app. Check if your windows firewall isn't blocking photoshop and other programs.

Also i read somewhere that HP advises to unplug, and uninstall youre scanner completely, install sp2, and then install it again. Dont know what scanner you are using but if its a common brand i bet the manufacturers site has some solution on it.....

unplug, and uninstall youre scanner completely, install sp2, and then install it again..

I don't know about the 'un-install SP2' part, that sounds both painful and dangerous. But the rest sounds like a good idea. TWAIN drivers can be tricky.

By the way, is it true, or a computer 'urban legend' that TWAIN actually stands for 'Technology Without An Interesting Name'?