External Render - Critique Needed

ianmoran

1439888083.jpg

Studio/Institution: Private Work
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Maya Vray
Description:

Okay guys... Please get as critical as possible. I have not shown anything to the boss man yet as something feels off with this render. It doesn't feel balanced or something. Anyway, any comments that will help me would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

Ian

''Please get as critical as possible.''

Indeed there is something missing...''live''?...the place looks deserted

-a bit more Sky/background would be nice

-The window glass would be a bit darker (in reality)

-The interior of the house looks odd... is that 3D?? its too bright and blurry...

-The plaster-texture on the left side is to bright/burnt, you could add tree shadows there

-I would add some shrubs, plants and a chair to the exterior

Agree with all the above. A few more things to consider:

- Increase contrast between shadows and highlights

- Color correct to bring the reds/yellows down a bit

- Work on glass reflections. You wouldn't be able to see through all the glass exactly the same as some is parallel to the camera, some is perpendicular, some is in shadow, some is in sun, etc.

- Work on render settings to remove noise (maybe this is still just draft settings?)

Hello guys, thank you so much for your responses. I agree with all of your opinions and have made notes to correct all of the above.

I don't have any updates on the exterior yet as I have spent some time working on the interiors instead and I've been trying to figure out the interior lighting. Not as easy as I first hoped. As I have started building the interiors, I quickly realised that they are not inviting or enticing at all, and I am not sure how to fix this.

So I have attached some images of the interior - living area, kitchen, dining area, games room. Please excuse the noise in the images, I did them quickly with low setting but it will hopefully give you the idea.

I am thinking of maybe going with a more minimalist look instead. It seems to be pretty popular here in Australia. Unfortunately I don’t know who is purchasing the property so it is difficult to tailor it to the owner’s specific needs etc.

I am also thinking that I need to do something with the lighting. My current lighting looks boring. Maybe a more cloudy sky creating softer shadows? Maybe an evening shot? I'm really not sure.

Interior05.01.jpg

Interior05.02.jpg

Interior05.03.jpg

Interior05.04.jpg

If you look at the reference photos for the outside, you will notice how during the day with so much daylight, you can't really see the inside.

Your interior renders don't seem bad as far as modeling is concerned. Start throwing lights in and make them warm. See how far you can take that, putting real life lights in there, with the light shades letting some light coming through, etc. Then post some of that work. Also, if you are going to take shots of the outside, the raw render would not show the outside as well as the inside. Take a real camera, and the exposure for the inside during the day will blow out the exposure of the outside. Hence, there is something wrong with your light values or camera values or both.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for the advice Alex, and I was able to see the issues that you describe. It is very helpful for me.

Here is another update… This time I chose to try the exterior on an evening shot, in addition to a few interior shots of the living room, kitchen and dining area.

Another idea I had for the exterior was to leave a wet towel by the pool with a few small puddles of water and one of the sliding doors open to create a story of a person living there (who obviously likes swimming at night).

Anyway, I would love to hear some criticisms. Each time I am able to learn a bit more from the opinions that you all have. Thank you so much.

Pool.jpg

LivingRoom.jpg

Kitchen.jpg

DiningRoom.jpg

Edited by ianmoran