3ds Max V-Ray rendering problem (light cache taking too long)

laurineezzeddine

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and this is my first post! But I could really use some help.

It is my first time using V-Ray, and I am trying to render an interior scene (which surely includes materials, lights, blocks).. After having searched online, I have decided to use Irradiance Map and Light Cache. And it isn't going so well for me! It is taking too much time "building light cache" (there must be something wrong). I tried changing the subdivs and sample size, unticking displacement, changing other parameters but nothing is working. However when I use brute force instead, it renders but it's noisy. I am trying to achieve a realistic view with no noise, especially that I am using glossy materials. I am also trying to get the best quality with the less time possible.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help! Thank you.

What would you define as "too long?"

Without seeing your scene, all I could suggest is to attack the issue systematically. Use first an Override Material to see if it is a material issue. If that gives you the same result then you should start checking your layers. You can either turn them all off and then add them back in one at a time until the problem returns or what I do is turn half off. If the problem doesn't return, then you know it is the other half. After that, split that in half and repeat until you narrow down the problem.

If after all of that, your problem persists (and maybe you want to do this before your geometry search) I would turn off your lights by instances. It could be an IES file or just a bad light object.

You should have found the problem by now, but if still not, you should check your render settings and/or merge your current scene into a new file.

Good Luck.