My first image on CGA forum - critique request

annasobol

1440665268.jpg

Studio/Institution: PPAGS
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Modo, Photoshop
Description:

Hello Community Members,

Can you please advise how to improve this image and make it more appealing? The idea was to make evening view of a house with lighting comming from the inside and using also external environmental lighting of the scene.

Best regards,

House extension.jpg

Hi Anna,y think that the image concept is good;3 thins to take care:

1.The texture of walls is to much bright for a night shot.

2.The color of windows lights is saturated and duplicated, exactly the same.

3.roof lights dont have origin,and garden lights look plane.

If you use vray sun in evening,take care about the position of sun,i think that this image just need artificial lights because the chairs shadows and the temperature of lights indicate that is a dark night.

Make a cool light balance with windows lights correct balance in yellow to white scale,the windows could have curtains also.

For lights sources in roof use a vraylightmtl and for the garden lights use a a reflective mat in the body of lamp,to have more interesting texture in it.

I made some correction in levels and contrast PS in the image.

Keep in work,good image

1440665268.jpg

Hi Anna! great image and great work! For the improvements, I would like to suggest the following:

1. The texture and lighting of your background(the sky) need to be dimmer, or you can have a darker shade of blue if you want to have a night shot in this image.

2. I agree with Karlo, the texture of walls is too bright for a nightshot. Most of the nightshot image I designed highlights more the window lights than the walls or facade of your exterior.

But overall, the image is good enough. Hope this helps!

agree with Karlo and Bobby, nice rendering ....but the background and walls to bright,

The interior light is too dark n too yellow for my taste

...and there is somehow no live, its like no one lives there.

No live in the uniform plaster material, no live outside the house (no shrubs, no dirt, no leaves, no cat or squirrel)

no live inside the house (no furniture, no paintings, no people)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anna,

1. I would add some dirt/variation to the plaster - you've got some lovely stuff going on with the paving and the stonework but the plaster material looks quite flat/like a basic material. Do something similar with the roof tiles too

2. Desaturate the interior lights and make them a bit brighter - add some more stuff like furniture to make it look lived in.

3. Same with the seating - you have wine glasses but nobody drinking from them.

4. the exterior lights have a very flat look to them - almost like they were painting on in photoshop?

5. Your background sky is too white - it would be much more subtle at night/evening. You could probably keep the same backplate but move it to the right around 30%

6. For the bushes on the left, use the grass brush to make your mask in photoshop and layer up several images to get a more natural look.

All in all a really nice image with some great potential! I can't wait to see the final version!

• 4 weeks later...