3D Process Pixelflake

Sketchrender

Also what happens when someone wants an animation of one of those projects?

Same thing that happens when someone wants an animation of a beautiful watercolor. They go to a firm that specializes in animations.

reminds me of a comment made by Matt Groening about doing a live version of the Simpsons:

He said something like, "We tried doing a live production episode once but we kept killing the animators"

moral of the story: know your product market.

It's all about locking those cameras down on day one of the process. I would say at least 75-90% of their time is probably in Photoshop and you lose all of that time if you let clients/bosses noodle your cameras during that process.

Looking at all of their breakdowns, it looks as if all of their entourage and cameras are very standardized to create a streamlined Photoshop process. You know if you drop an asset in Photoshop it will work almost with zero adjustments. They don't waste time trying to distort entourage to fit a goofy camera angle. Instead of trying to shoehorn something into a scene, you can spend more time on the overall look and beauty adjustments.

I understand what your saying John, I was just hoping there was an answer other than they don't do animations.

I would bet they could either deliver a Ken Burns moving image effect on the still image they created or they start a brand new job for that animation that has it's own budget, process, and timeline.

These guys are great. If you're interested in their PS work they have a lot of breakdowns on their Vimeo page and there's at least one actual PSD you can download from Ronen Bekerman.

' Pleased to say I got to spend a little time "picking their brains" one day. Co-founder Matt did the same course as me at Bournemouth Uni, and after he and Marvin started Pixel Flakes they where invited back to teach a class to us one afternoon. It was a small group so was quite casual and good fun.

(Apart from watching them whiz about in Photoshop, and getting some cool tips) the main insight I got was that it was a very conscious decision by them to focus on the Photoshop aspect of the workflow. So (as I recall) it was primarily just a decision based on a personal preference for working in Post. But it probably wasn't long before they recognised their style as valuable in the marketplace!

I don't know about Marvin, but Matt's degree the (course we were on) was pretty heavy on 3D animation, so they probably could turn their hand to that if they wanted. It's remarkable how quickly they've expanded - I'm quite excited for them; I mean the foster & Partners job was a real coup d'etat!

Edited by TomasEsperanza

I think your right Velvet Elvis.

At my job the first thing that my boss asks for are views once the modeling is done. He wants them fast and once the client approves the views after I do my renders then the photoshop wizards jump in and thats when you see true artistry. The amount of layers is insane. I'm having to unlearn everything I've learned on the web as it barely applies. The basic view renderings are of vital importance and is the first step and the client works from those views.

Since everyone at my company is highly experienced(20 years plus) with the exception of me, I think this stems from a strong architectural and hand drafting background rather than a CG Background. They've been doing this before there were computers. Some of my coworkers actually did hand renderings and if you've ever done them whether for a client or gnarly professor it seems the best thing is to establish intent early on and work from there. It's not a better or worse way of working just different and imo closer to tradition.