The Boundary online store selling complete scenes!

I fault no one for selling their work as they wish, but I wonder what it is that anyone would hope to gain from buying it? They are a great company that produces great work, but this is not going to be hidden within the scene.

By my guess, they use HDRI lighting (Peter Guthrie's no doubt), they model what is necessary to compose the image, and they use nice materials. This isn't new. We all know the techniques for rendering, it's the artistry that divides us.

I think what their work alone has to offer is both the image itself and their post process work, the later of which is not for sale. Buy these scenes for the 3D assets within them and the maps they may contain, but if you want to create images like theirs, then study their images and be more critical of your own work.

All of this is my opinion. I just don't believe that anyone should think that a single scene (or 8) will teach anyone to be as good as The Boundary. These guys have been in the game for long time and it is their experience and artistry that makes them so valued.

Yea I guess you are right. I'ts not as interesting as buying complete Unreal Engine scenes where you have blueprints, materials, lighting settings, etc.

Of course the artistic touch can't be learned as easily but the 1st time I started vray I was lost as f*ck lol. There are many many tutorials online but a lot of these scenes looks very bad and i'm pretty sure raw renderings by Guhtrie and friends still look better!

I fault no one for selling their work as they wish, but I wonder what it is that anyone would hope to gain from buying it?

I think people just starting out can get a lot of insight from studying how a scene is put together. Vray is a complex program for beginners so seeing how someone puts a scene together and what the settings are set too can help to clarify things.