Large files in max

Devin Johnston

This is a Max/Revit question about files sizes, this might not be the best place to post this but I think the problem is coming from the Revit side of the equation. I've been working with ArchiCAD for the past 13 years and my office has decided to switch to Revit so this is one of the first projects I've done using the Revit/Max linking. I'm finding that Max is using much more ram than normal almost twice as much and when it saves the file it's anywhere from 2-4 times larger than what I'm used to. The only difference is I'm linking the Revit model into Max, is this behavior normal?

it is hard to compare this workflow, because REVIT can carry more model of information to 3dMax than ArchiCAD. Let us please do not start what is better war ;)

To me the Key is find the type of linking that will work better for you. I usually link or merge by families, sometimes by materials but there is such inconsistency in material names, that working with families I am sure I reduce the amount of meshes that is what really hurt Max.

it is always better a mesh with millions of polygons than million of meshes of a single polygon.

Please check if you are compressing your file in Max options.

I also rather link FBX than straight REVIT file, for my workflow if I try to link the REVIT file it will load and review each sheet and 3D views created in REVIT, this consume a lot of resource while opening and update, when really I just need the model and not the views.

Hope this help.

BTW, if you are using the "Latest and grates" Autodesk REVIT and 3dMax there is a stupid error that will scale your REVIT model to centimeters. If you import to Max 2014 it imports fine, or you need to re scale your FBX after import, since the option of scale on the import panel is grayed out :S

Gotta love Autodesk development :p

Edited by fco3d

• 1 month later...

Please check if you are compressing your file in Max options.

I also rather link FBX than straight REVIT file, for my workflow if I try to link the REVIT file it will load and review each sheet and 3D views created in REVIT, this consume a lot of resource while opening and update, when really I just need the model and not the views.

There is an option to choose the views to link.

• 1 month later...

The big problem also when import DXF format file from Revit to MAX ! and when linked revit file in 3d max directly talk a lot of time ...must be autodesk found profissional solution !!

*3D max dont creat profissional sectin ..

*Revit can't create realistic animation render

* From revit to max fbx , dxf or like revit directly i feel like tray but Horse above car and I pull them !!

Edited by mohamedhassen