Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Photoshop is driving me nuts! (Proof, Convert and other quircks..)

Name
    Marco De Biasi
    Forum Username
    dsp_418

Italy

Default Re: Photoshop is driving me nuts! (Proof, Convert and other quircks..)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mottle View Post
    [...]You can also use this if your working space is larger and you are saving the files as sRGB. If your working space is AdobeRGB or ProPhoto for example, anytime you convert to sRGB when you save, you will almost certainly see a shit and desaturation in color. That's because the sRGB colorspace is a much smaller colorspace then the working space.
    Since my monitor will hardly show anything more than sRGB, at this point I can probably just leave the Proof Colors off.

As for why you are seeing a shift in colors between AE and PS. What colorspace is AE set to? I notice you posted actual photographs, so I wonder which camera you used and what colorspace the photo was saved with if it was in a non RAW format. If you opened a RAW image, you by default will rasterize that image into your working space. There could be an issue with your working space and the profile the image was taken in. For example if I shoot JPG I usually assign AdobeRGB my camera. If you open that image into PS with your current settings, you're going to be working in AdobeRGB as it preserves the embedded profile.

Tell me a bit more about your photographic workflow so I can better guess where the issue might be. What camera, what type of image (RAW/JPG) etc.
    Ok, my typical color setting in AE is Rec 709, but like I said for this test my project setting was sRGB. Since my PS color settings it's sRGB they should match, although they don't. AE sRGB version is more saturated, vivid colors (which is what comes from the ACR editing).

Now, for what concerns my camera settings and how I shoot: camera is a Sony A-6000, color settings is sRGB (I wanted to keep everything on the same page). I shoot raw and the photo sample I posted was originally a Raw picture, opened and edited via Camera Raw. Once I was done with the editing, I saved it from PS as a PSD file (that was the only operation I did within PS). I opened the PSD file in AE and saved a PNG wich Color Management ON. I saved the image again with Color Management OFF (and in fact you can tell the difference).
    Then I saved a PNG from PS as well (I didn't use Save for Web) and it looks like the CM off AE version.
    Last step was converting the results to JPGs (which look identical to the PNGs). That's all.

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Hmmm, I'm wondering if some of this issue are CM settings and embedded profiles. Are you sure that every one of your files had the ICC profile embedded? It sounds like either some of these images does not have a profile embedded or the settings are ignoring the profile.

Name
    Marco De Biasi
    Forum Username
    dsp_418

Italy

Hmmm, I'm wondering if some of this issue are CM settings and embedded profiles. Are you sure that every one of your files had the ICC profile embedded? It sounds like either some of these images does not have a profile embedded or the settings are ignoring the profile.
    Hm... I'll go through all steps once again. In the meantime, just to double check: would you use "Convert to sRGB" from Save for Web or would you turn that off?

Thanks for helping Jeff!

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by dsp_418 View Post
    would you use "Convert to sRGB" from Save for Web or would you turn that off?

Thanks for helping Jeff!
    I would not use save for Web for anything related to arch viz. That feature is meant for exporting web graphics that need to be compressed to decrease page load times. I would use the regular save as feature and ensure the ICC profile checkbox is checked.

Name
    Marco De Biasi
    Forum Username
    dsp_418

Italy

I would not use save for Web for anything related to arch viz. That feature is meant for exporting web graphics that need to be compressed to decrease page load times. I would use the regular save as feature and ensure the ICC profile checkbox is checked.
    Oh sure, I don't use Save for Web for post production. I usually rely on TIF or PSD, or EXR when I don't need any post in PS - I don't like the way PS handles EXR. AE is a little better, NUKE is waaaay better.

The thing is, I do need to export for web, some of my work goes there, and as far as I know Save for Web is the best tool in order to keep file size small.

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by dsp_418 View Post
    The thing is, I do need to export for web, some of my work goes there, and as far as I know Save for Web is the best tool in order to keep file size small.
    OK, just realize that if your working space is larger than the sRGB you use to convert using Export for Web, you could see some color shifting. Also depending on your export settings using Export for Web, you could also see shifts in color as it attempts to compress the file.

Name
    Marco De Biasi
    Forum Username
    dsp_418

Italy

OK, just realize that if your working space is larger than the sRGB you use to convert using Export for Web, you could see some color shifting. Also depending on your export settings using Export for Web, you could also see shifts in color as it attempts to compress the file.
    Yup,

that makes sense. Since my workflow sticks to sRGB though, it is still confusing the color shifting from PS (in fact in AE it looks fine).

At this point I'll do one simple thing: I'll reset PS preferences and start from scratch. That usually helps

Thanks for helping out Jeff.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information