Resolution vs. Render time

joshuastephens

I've been trying out a few things in 3ds max with vray rendering at 1000x600 pixels.

I'm using progressive so that I can get a good idea of what things will look like in the final within 5-30 minutes each render. (I usually just stop it after it reaches several passes)

I have noticed however, whenever I crank up the resolution to anything around 2000 pixels on one side, the render times increase exponentially! I never even make it to the first pass for an entire hour. Is this just how rendering works or could there be an setting I need to change as I increase resolution?

My scene is very simple, 5 walls, a few glass panes, some mulleons, and a large white "endless" backdrop surface. The walls do have a modest 1/2 inch brick displacement on them.

FYI, I am using a single, low end computer (Intel i7 4790k/8 GB Ram) if that may be the cause.

One extra detail I noticed is that when rendering the smaller images, my cpu stays at around 100% usage, while using the larger images it fluctuates between 20-70% ever few sconds.

Edited by joshuastephens

By your computer specs I would say it is your RAM, I am guessing you are using IRR plus Lightcache, and the last one is not displacement friendly. so large resolution+displ+progresive i= RAM chugger.

If you want large image you need to go bucket, and if it is possible distribute rendering. you may also turn off your VRay buffer (it actually uses ram to preview) and ultimately, you may need to save as vray image instead or EXR or JPG or whatever you are using.

When you run out of RAM V-Ray start to use your Hard disk as memory resource and that slow the things down to a crawl.