Second 3DS & VRAY attempt. Everton Football Club the client

adamsargeant

1442266728.jpg

Studio/Institution: CLA
Client: EFC in the Community
Genre: Commercial Exterior
Software: 3DS Max 2015 & Vray 3
Description:

Criticism required on this. I have not populated it at all in terms of people as of yet as i want the core image to be pulled apart. I have included the original photograph as reference.

It is only my second attempt so please bare that in mind, especially when it comes to render settings, sun etc.

The sun was behind the building when i took the photo as can be seen in the reference photo so that makes lighting a bit more tricky.

20150911_171319.jpg

post images

Is the new building supposed to be beige and not white? If it is supposed to be white, look at how it matches with the white building in the original picture. The same with the blue parts - the cg blue is more purple ish. If the sun was behind the building in the original photo, you should try to match that in your render as well - now the sun is coming from a completely different angle it looks like. Also more yellow/less blue on the bushes in front so that it matches better with the original greens might be a good idea.

Thank you both for your replies. Yes i need to tone down the new 'white render' to be more in keeping with the far right element (already built). Same with the blue render. With regards to the photo/angle, The site is really uninspiring and without us treating the entire site (to the left of image) i can only really work with what is there (without making it up).

The completed part of the project is a school so it is difficult to obtain good quality images without a nosy neighbor questioning. I will re do the render colours, although there was a very yellow tint to the sky so it makes me question how the white render has appeared so 'white'.

Looking good so far, I don't see any hard shadows, and this can work in your favor because now you can be a little more aggressive in Photoshop to give a better mood to your image.

The guy popping in the window looks creepy, just place some people about the entrance, maybe even one and call it good.

Regarding the colors, depending the camera it will try to color balance your image even with a very colorful sky or environment, if the building on the photo looks white, you should try to follow that, even if you were there and remember that there was a color cast, because at the end you are trying to match the photo, not your eyes in this case.

Keep the good work ;)

Looking good so far, I don't see any hard shadows, and this can work in your favor because now you can be a little more aggressive in Photoshop to give a better mood to your image.

The guy popping in the window looks creepy, just place some people about the entrance, maybe even one and call it good.

Regarding the colors, depending the camera it will try to color balance your image even with a very colorful sky or environment, if the building on the photo looks white, you should try to follow that, even if you were there and remember that there was a color cast, because at the end you are trying to match the photo, not your eyes in this case.

Keep the good work ;)

haha yes the guy is creepy. I was just trying out a free 3D model but i guess at that distance, i could easily have photoshopped him in. He will be removed.

Regarding the hard shadows, if you look at the reference photo, non were cast. The sun was in and amongst the cloud at low level so i don't believe there would be sufficient direct sun light to create shadow. Only the sky acting almost as an omni light to give more subtle shading.

I am having a play around with the colours now. Once i have added a person or 2 i will post the result.

Thank you, all

EDIT:

I may have found my issue regarding light coming the wrong way. The 1st image shows that my HDRI is messing up. Almost splitting the image horizontally then flipping it so that what is 'behind me' is now in front.

A screen grab from the software shows how it should appear (second image).

Test5a.jpg

image hosting free no registration

Test5b.jpg

how to do a screen shot

Edited by adamsargeant

I will leave it at that for now and see how the client likes it. I will be the first to admit that making an image dreamy and highly post produced is not my strength. I have always been a realist and tried to convey what a project will look like. Probably why i was always marked down in uni whilst other less realistic, but heavily photo montaged images scored highly. I will look in to it with tutorials but for now my focus is becoming more proficient in 3DS & Vray. Oh and i need time to master how to place people accurately in a scene through photoshop. Can never get the lighting and shadow correct!

Test5.jpg

img upload

Edited by adamsargeant