Kitchen Render - Too Bright?

ianmoran

1442983720.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: Maya Vray
Description:

Hello guys,

If you have a few spare minutes, please offer a little critic to this kitchen design I am working on. My main question is, is the light too bright? Lighting is something that I feel is really weak with me so I am making more effort to focus on it.

Thank you.

Ian

Kitchen2.jpg

I would consider a darker exposure for the environment and then balance out the brightness with artificial lights in the ceiling. I see this a lot in low-environment interior photography, even in the daytime. Both links from the previous posters show examples of this.

And then use Post to brighten shadows and add contrast in your black point. You can't really render the bracketed exposures so you need to just save as an EXR and do some post work on it.

Thanks guys... The reference images you posted are really helpful.

I think your description in very helpful Corey. Thank you. I agree with your advice and will try this once I've observed some more references.

These are some of the references I was using up to date... I thought these were a bit dark so I went brighter.... A bit too far though...

kitchen_ref01.jpg

kitchen_ref02.jpg

kitchen_ref03.jpg

i kind of think it's not bright enough. if you have photoshop, add a curves adjustment layer and grab a point on the line near the middle of the brightest 1/4 and move it up (ex. input 229 output 245) then grab another point down in the darkest 1/4 and flatten it out (ex. input 54 and output 67). doing this though, i would tone down the chairs and tone down the colored lamps, except maybe the yellow lamp it seems to handle the curves OK as does the back wall.