Google Earth plugins?

paulhansen

I haven't tried it myself, but I read about someone (perhaps in that other thread) who used the Autodesk ReCap workflow with GE, taking multiple screenshots and processing them with ReCap to recreate the geometry. Not ideal, but better than modeling it all yourself?

Interesting...

depending on what your looking for .

Link attached has a list of cities and sites extracted.

Look through them.

http://make2d.blogspot.ie/2011/10/request-model.html?showComment=1342709283050#c3766181945002294859

So how is that guy so able to rip GE models? What's he got that we don't got?

Has anyone here opened his rips? They seem to be in Rhino format and I don't have Rhino since v1. There are some shareware converters for not much cash, might try one of those. Or Moi, that's supposed to be great.

The thread is from 2011-2012, before Google had their new fancy point cloud geometry. I think they now use a newer version of DX9 which is not supported by the ripping software. Google Earth 6.2 and 3D Ripper 1.8 are reported to work, but that'll be the older style of 3d buildings. I requested a rip from him a few years ago and it came in pretty well, but I only needed grey background buildings for context. I don't think it was textured.

Another option that I've only started investigating is using lidar scans that are sometimes supplied by municipal GIS departments. I've gotten as far as getting a scan imported into ReCap, but have not had time to merge one with an aerial texture or bring it into 3ds Max. I'm guessing this is what Google is doing now with the new models they have, though I suspect there's a bit more to it than that.