My next laptop

Amen

Jan K.

I have a Dell notebook, it is a little bit old now, but it worked great for me. Search Make sure it doesn't overheats, because that was the only issue i found in my dell, in summer, it overheats while redering (Brazilian summer, you can just ignore this part...). But the notebook as all was great.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend bought the infiniti Dell XPS13 and indeed it is beautiful. But damn, they're coming with re-fresh offering 16gb ram now for it ! For f. sakes, why wasn't that "possible" month ago.

I was eye-ying the XPS15 as well, it's bomb. Honestly there isn't single better laptop right now on market if we think in terms of "just laptops".

This SurfaceBook on other hand...

(I could use both...but these pricetags are out of normal world)

You buy yourself 32 gb ram and use that. It should work.

On the XPS13 Infiniti/Haswell version ? Isn't it fully soldered (even than it would be up to 16 as I doubt it has more than 2 "slots" ) ?

Nonetheless it's so small it's impossible to do any work on it so it doesn't matter that much :- ) It's more for reading interwebz and showing people nice images on super nice screen.

XPS15 is price-wise just manageable..I don't think it's 1k price difference compared to macbookPro anymore...and the SurfaceBook is almost more expensive.

This SurfaceBook on other hand...

It is very interesting. I will be watching forums closely to see how the custom discreet graphics solution performs.

But what about that graphics chip?

One part that’s still shrouded in mystery is the discrete graphics chip Microsoft put in the Surface Book. Microsoft blew people’s socks off with the Surface Book and the fact that it basically put external graphics into one part of its detachable computer that doesn’t require a reboot when you swap between them.

What GPU though, I still don’t know. Nvidia offered up nearly the same statement as Microsoft itself did.

“The new GPU is a Maxwell based GPU with GDDR5 memory,” an Nvidia spokesperson said. “It was designed to deliver the best performance in ultra-thin form factors such as the Surface Book keyboard dock. Given its unique implementation and design in the keyboard module, it cannot be compared to a traditional 900M series GPU.”

The company directed me to Nvidia’s blog, which confirms that it’s an “8M” and has a 1GB GDDR5 frame buffer. So for that one chip, you’ll have to wait a bit more to find out just what kind of performance the Nvidia GPU nets you.

Source: PC World