HDRI Spherical Environment Size

I was trying find solution but most of the videos for 3ds max and didn't find answer. I have hdri map of interior room . The object for render is wardrobe with mirror , the question is how to make spherical environment closer to the wardrobe so it can fill the reflection. Maybe image will explain this better. Thanks

FOV.jpg

Sorry if wrong section . (Vray or Sketchup)

Edited by patrickg2

You cannot change the scale of a spherical image.

Thanks for answer , is there any chance to render reflection for exemple https://www.google.com/search?q=hdri+interior+bedroom&num=40&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI5pzPn82ryAIVQnE-Ch2O2gIn&biw=1718&bih=1284#imgrc=PaE7CBwwRgFdmM%3A.

For now I just adding plane image but the problem is I need to adjust everything everytime I move camera.

(And this is limitaion of vray or just vray for sketchup I remember in some video for max one man was adjusting size by changing offset)

On the right side of your image with settings, under Options, you can check the boxes next to affect diffuse, affect specular and affect reflections. So then you can make one HDRI that only affects diffuse and light up your scene with that. Then you create another one, set that to only affect reflections and tune that one (rotate) until you get the reflections that you want.

In Max I would apply this spherical map to a sphere and invert the normals on the faces. You would then be able to scale the sphere up or down accordingly.

You would also need to remove the sphere from shadow casting and exclude it from the light, but to use it as a reflection where you get to control the size, this is the best way that I can think of.

But again.... that is the Max solution. I would imagine you can do something similar in Sketchup.

Static image as diffuse of mirror with reflection glossiness I don't see any other solution in sketchup. Everyone speak about 3ds max , I use trial and found that many functions not existing in this program. To bad that Autodesk have autocad for precision work and 3ds max for visualisation and don't want to implement some function to 3ds max. . When you make box in 3ds max you can set up size but not after converting this to editable poly. In sketchup there nice plugin "fredoscale" that allow you to change even group of objects. The best thing is if thickness of the chipboard is 18mm and you change the size of the cabinet the thickness stay the same. The second best program for me for this type of work (kitchen design) is Blender you can just type the size of the object. Anyway thank you for Your help.

You are mistaken about 3DS Max. Every object has a dimension and scale and can be typed in for specificity or altered afterwards, with or without Edit Poly.

Model with primitives and use the transform type-in tool (F12).

Also, Autodesk has supplied a fully-functional free/trial.education version of their software for free. If you didn't see something, you didn't know where to look.

• 3 weeks later...

answering original question:

cut the desirable fragment from your hdri file and put it as 'face me' component (vertical plane) behind your object ( don't be shy to use move\scale).

@Corey:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3DS Max you can't take say some wrong scaled car, measure its wheel (for instance say it's 90km) and say I want the whole get scaled so the wheel would become 60cm. In Sketchup it's a 2-click operation

Edited by 1rv

You can't scale the image on a VRay dome because it is a"infinite dome" it is just used to produce light, You could tile the image, (repeat, vertically or horizontally) that will increase or decrease the visual size of if, but it will produce strange illumination.

If you want to control the size, create a dome in sketchup, and apply a self illuminated material and put the texture there, then you can scale the sketchup dome and the texture will follow.

If you are trying to composite your 3d object in your background image, this is not the best way. You should use your hdri just to illuminate your scene and render, then in photoshop replace the background and adjust your reflections.

As roman mentioned you can get a section of the area you want to reflect and put it in a plane in front of your glass, behind the camera so it create reflections.

To answer Roman, yes in 3d Max or any 3d software you can get a dimension and re scale as necessary, not sure if it is 1 or 5 clicks but it is doable.

It's "spherical", that literally means if you stand in middle of it (it's always placed in pivot point of camera) the size doesn't matter, it always looks the same. Just think about it for 5 seconds. A sky 100km away looks the same as sky 100 meter away when looked from same point with same field of view.

You also can't "scale" perspective, the way the Spherical/Hemispherical HDRi image was shot is to stay that way.

You can apply such image to primitive geometry (like a sphere) and move/skew it, as was suggested, but that is distorting the original perspective (perspective will always only work if position of 3D camera is at identical place as was real camera) to point where the distortion is obvious. What you would see in mirror would be nonsense, and thus wouldn't look good anyway.

There is a solution though, although slightly complicated and that is projecting a spherical image onto real (although simplified) geometry supposed to simulate the place shot on photography. This is technique used in VFX to easily recreate the environment, basically, a camera mapping.

But don't be surprised if the reflection will still look different than what you "think" they should be. Mirror always reflects based on laws of reflection. You can't break that. But you would be able to position your object and camera slightly within this space.