Interior Design Thesis

rachelmallia

hi all, i am new here so i dont know if it is allowed but i want to ask for an opinion. I am an interior design student and this year we have to work on a thesis (or dissertation) and i want to focus on visualization. However we do have some restrictions when choosing our topic which are, around 50% of the thesis has to be a project (can be physical or not) and there has to be both primary sources (surveys, focus groups etc) and secondary sources (books, films) of information. The main limitation that i think is restricting me is that it has to be a solution to a problem.

I dont know if it makes sense.

Thanks

...it makes sense, *except* you forgot to mention what the issue you want to get opinions on is!

Whether you should do your thesis on visualisation?

If you need a "problem" to be solved by visualisation: that most people have trouble picturing something from just drawings is the main one. I would imagine that would fit the criteria?

Edited by Richard7666

Problem:

Interior designer selects furniture and materials based on swatches and showroom lighting, then freaks out that they look different that they envisioned in their head when rendered in photo-realistic light.

Solution:

Designers screams at artist until the image is no longer photo-realistic and no longer resembles any accurate form or representation to the final design.

So what John and Corey said is pretty much cold-hard truth. But I think you will get more useful responses if you come up with a few ideas yourself and ask for feedback.

Of course a thesis is supposed to be a solution to a problem. That's not unique to you, and you shouldn't think of it as a limitation. And "problem" is a pretty subjective term. I think you'll have a lot of leeway if you come up with an intriguing topic. At this point in your studies you must have questioned why things are done a certain way, or have wanted to learn more about a specific facet of interior design or have had at least one original thought. That's what the thesis is for. And keep in mind it's not a doctorate, so you're not coming up with something brand new and never done before...you're just becoming more informed yourself.

When I was in thesis (architecture) we had to write a bunch of these statements: "I am studying (blank) because I want to understand (blank) so that I can (blank). The first blank is the small topic you are studying. The second blank is a larger picture issue and the third blank is the problem you want to resolve. Just write out about 10-20 of those and you'll begin to figure out what it is you want to study.

Problem:

Interior designer selects furniture and materials based on swatches and showroom lighting, then freaks out that they look different that they envisioned in their head when rendered in photo-realistic light.

Solution:

Designers screams at artist until the image is no longer photo-realistic and no longer resembles any accurate form or representation to the final design.

Lol! Much truth.

Problem:

Solution:

:- D Big plus.. yeah, pretty much.

The famous&popular 'moodboards'...

Endless nightmares of "Shouldn't it be more green ? Like on the picture..."

I wonder how this works out in real-life when no viz is involved...do they return all that expensive furniture ?