help with lighting dark areas in scene

maxwerz

Hi all,

I am developing this render of a museum complex. Because of the dark stone paving there are very dark regions underneath the balconies.

Is there a setting in Maxwell to brighten up the dark regions globally or allow light to travel much deeper into the nooks and crannies in the scene?

I want to avoid resorting to adding additional supplement light sources (I tried this and it does not look natural), or increasing the existing light sources (I tried and it blows out the bright areas and still does not illuminate the dark areas properly).

Does anyone perhaps know of a tutorial they can point me too?

Very much appreciated,

Max

shadows.jpg

I'm not a Maxwell user, but a good Post Process trick would be to save out your Render Elements into an EXR and recompile the beauty pass from the Elements in 32 bit. The trick being that you can add an exposure to your GI pass and elevate your shadows without raising the light quality. Your image will get brighter, but the balance will be much the same.

Build: GI>Lighting>Refraction>Reflection>Specular>Self Illumination (italics set to Linear Dodge/Add)

After this you can flatten out an image fore further processing in 8 or 16 bit as you would any other render.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a Maxwell user, but a good Post Process trick would be to save out your Render Elements into an EXR and recompile the beauty pass from the Elements in 32 bit. The trick being that you can add an exposure to your GI pass and elevate your shadows without raising the light quality. Your image will get brighter, but the balance will be much the same.

Build: GI>Lighting>Refraction>Reflection>Specular>Self Illumination (italics set to Linear Dodge/Add)

After this you can flatten out an image fore further processing in 8 or 16 bit as you would any other render.

Dear Corey,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply!

Dealing with this issue in post sounds like a good idea.

I will try to replicate this.

Max