Omni and target lights not working with a daylight system!!

tillywhitwell

Hi everyone, new to this site so please be gentle.

Just getting back to using 3Ds Max after learning it at uni and not using for the past year. Ive created an exterior scene with a daylight system. I was looking to create a glow coming from the windows of the house but none of the other lights seem to be working with the daylight system, especially as the mr photographic Exposure Control is set to the preset of Physically Based Lighting, Outdoor Daylight Clear Sky.

Please can someone help. Im using a mental ray renderer.

Thanks

A daylight system has an intense brightness and your photographics exposure control simply adjusts the exposure for that. You can verify that by setting your daylight systems sun to use a standard light, it's intensity multiplier should get adjusted to tens of thousands then.

Thus all other standard lights ( intensity multiplier 1 by default) will be far too weak to show any result in this scene,that's the reason you should use photometric lights. If you still insist using standard lights, you have to crank up their intensity accordingly to have them any visible effect in the scene ( too into the tens of thousands range )

Edited by spacefrog

Thanks Josef. I would use photometric lights if I could however I can not get any other light source to emit anything other than the daylight system. Ive tried photometric free lights, standard Omni's, skylight etc etc etc and tried cranking up the intensities like you have suggested.

could there be a setting that I have changed in the daylight system? I have used the arch and design mental ray glass thin geometry on my windows, where I want the glow to come out from. could it be something to do with that?