Question for people who has been doing this for 3+ years

tc1

So I'm learning ArchViz on Maya. I'm getting "okay" at it.

But I noticed the Maya section in the forums is pretty much dead.

If you have 3+ years in archviz I'm assuming majority of studios are using 3DSM?

Yes 3D Studio Max is the Standard for Arch Viz, you can get great results in Maya, but 3D Max has a "better" interaction between other CAD software, such AutoCAD, or REVIT that are the bread a butter for Architectural work.

Have you tried to import a REVIT fbx in your Maya scene.... a big pain. If you are interested in Arch Viz I would recommend to try Max, if you already own Maya. you can work around but, for Arch Viz, 3d Max will be more friendly.

Of course your miles will vary ;)

Thank you or your reply.

I used 3DSM at work for few months couple years back. I was so used to Maya I didn't give it a try. I know V-ray from one software to another is pretty much the same options (different location).

I'll be hanging out in these forums asking tons of question to learn 3DSM then lol.

Hey, I came from Maya to 3DS and within a few days I was pretty good at it. They really aren't that different once you work out how they each work. Just watch tons of videos and ask tons of questions.

:) already spending too much time here it seems lol

I used Maya for about 3 years for arch viz (because I'd been using it since 2006), switching to Max wasn't too hard.

The main thing is that there are a lot more content libraries for Max for whatever reason.

There are some things Max is terrible at that you will hate, the main one being working on several objects at once at component/sub object level is a pain; you need to select the objects in question and add an Edit Poly modifier to the selection. On the other hand it is much easier to do basic UV mapping (but complex UV unwrapping is clunky)

I have a bunch of scripts I use to try and simulate the best parts of Maya.