Backburner Server as service (serversvc)

jucaro

Is anyone here configured backburner server service successfully?

I'm wondering what i'm doing wrong. If i use backburner as a standard app,

everything works as expected.

BUT when I run it as a service, the renders cannot locate the irradiance map

and some of the texture maps as well.

Anyone have had this problem?

Hello.

I had similar problems...

with the servers running in service mode not finding the path for the maps..or sometimes rendering to a network drive.

I think is something with the paths within DOS

tried many things got frustated.. and went back to normal server..

the closest thing to running as a srvc. was making a alias of the program in the startup folder... turn on the render slaves and the server is running..

not much help , just sharing..

if you find a solution please post it..

Esteban

esteban@citrica.com

A service runs as a separate user, and usually a very restricted one (usually System).

You have to go to Control Panel > Admin Tools > Services and select the Server service, right-click it > Properties and set the username and password of a user who has access to the maps, shares, etc.

Hope this helps,

Alexander

I am running backburner as a service on my other computer. I configured a year and a half ago, so I don't remember much though. However I do remember that I read the directions in the Max Help file. I followed those exactly and they work fine.

Also to check the status of your services:

1. right click on "my computer"

2. select manage

It brings up a system information dialog for your computer

3. Open up "Services and Applications"

4. Select Services

5. Drag the window so it's alittle bigger

6. Scroll to backburner in the list. There you will find information on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now installed the backburner servers as services. And changed the user to one that has access to all drives and maps etc. The only thing is, they render, but I dont see max running eventhough I checked the viewport thingy. It shows in the task manager ofcourse. Its not that I dont like it or anything, but I just would like to know what is causing this....

I do have a mixed environment now ie; server as service (on 2 computers) and server normal (on 3 other computers). Just for testing purposes.

I've had backburner running as a service and working smoothly now. I kinda like the 'mode' where there is no display.

Question is, If the backburner service runs in the background, does it mean it will be running slowly since it wont be getting that much processor timeslice if windows xp on the stations are configured to prioritize foreground applications?

Just wanna know.

On another note, Has anyone tried FranticFilm's Deadline Rendering Manager? I requested a demo but I havent had the time to tinker with it after a failed installation.