MAX101 Question on Maps

M V

I know this is probably a super newbie question, and that's what I am as far as Max goes (coming from a decade of SketchUp VRay use). I have hundreds of max models in a library I have had saved for years from collecting freebies on the web and such. Is there no easy way to get every model to recognize the maps associated with it. Most of the maps are either in the same folder with the file or one subfolder away. I am shocked that Max wont just at least look 1 or 2 subs deep and remap the links itself?

• 2 weeks later...

A quick way would be to add the top path to your user paths in max (and make sure you tick "Add Subpaths")

The top path could be where ever you're storing your assets for example:

c:\years_of_collecting_models

If in there you have folders for example "couch", "table1" etc and they contain maps, ticking "add subpaths" in the 1st step would also add these.

You only have to do this 1 time.

WARNING:

Just because it's a quick fix, doesn't mean you should do it like this. You really need to go through each thing and build your asset library from scratch relinking etc as others have suggested. The issue with doing the quick way is, what if between all this junk you have 20 maps all called "wood.jpg". It could be 20 different maps, but max will always use the 1st one it finds in the order of the user paths list.

• 4 weeks later...
A quick way would be to add the top path to your user paths in max (and make sure you tick "Add Subpaths")

The top path could be where ever you're storing your assets for example:

c:\years_of_collecting_models

If in there you have folders for example "couch", "table1" etc and they contain maps, ticking "add subpaths" in the 1st step would also add these.

You only have to do this 1 time.

WARNING:

Just because it's a quick fix, doesn't mean you should do it like this. You really need to go through each thing and build your asset library from scratch relinking etc as others have suggested. The issue with doing the quick way is, what if between all this junk you have 20 maps all called "wood.jpg". It could be 20 different maps, but max will always use the 1st one it finds in the order of the user paths list.

Or even better, create a textures folder and search those max files for images using file extensions *.jpg, *.png bla bla. Cut all of them to your new folder and simply add that user path in 3dsmax.

I find if the textures have the same name especially if they're free assets, its probably the same. These things go around. I only add new paths from specific libraries thereafter else one textures folder satisfies the free assets.