Bath Time

adamsargeant

1446414327.jpg

Studio/Institution: CLA
Genre: Residential Interior
Software: 3DS Max 2015 & Vray 3
Description:

Hi,

Almost done with this one. Want to add some foam/bubbles but my main issue is the water. Would probably be ok for a river or ocean but not a bath. From my experience running baths, there is obvious water disturbance around the point where the water comes out the tap, but it calm further away. Anybody care to share what they think would be good settings for this?

I have 2 objects for water. One is a smooth surface and the other is bumpy to replicate the effect of water hitting its surface.

Thanks,

The water 'falling' i am ok with. The area where the water then hits is ok. I will try and find a tutorial in VrayBlend to get a fade between disturbed water and calm. I ran a bath tonight to see the results so know what i want.. Just need to play around until i get it right :)

Vray blend is just a base material (calm water), then you stack other "layers" of materials on top of it (in this case the wavey water). The blend amount is a black and white map. Where the white is, the layer on top will be used, where the black is the base/layer beneath will be used. The output from a vray distance tex is a black and white (by default) map that will get you a gradient from black to white. This gradient will be drawn from the object you specify and be as big as a radius you set in the distance tex. Thus you get exactly what you need to input into the mix amount in the vray blend material.

Vray blend is just a base material (calm water), then you stack other "layers" of materials on top of it (in this case the wavey water). The blend amount is a black and white map. Where the white is, the layer on top will be used, where the black is the base/layer beneath will be used. The output from a vray distance tex is a black and white (by default) map that will get you a gradient from black to white. This gradient will be drawn from the object you specify and be as big as a radius you set in the distance tex. Thus you get exactly what you need to input into the mix amount in the vray blend material.

Excellent description.. Thank you,

Am i right in thinking i will need to add a UV Map so that 3DS knows where i want 'black' and where i want 'white'?

If you had painted your own black and white map as a texture, you would have had to add an UVW map modifier to your geometry to get your map to appear correctly on the geometry. However the distance tex is calculated for you, so you should not have to add additional UVW map modifiers.

I will probably do my own as id want the black area to be a circle which fades to white using a gradient in photoshop. As the tap is central but to 1 side, it makes sense for the disturbed water to be as per image.

Water_map.jpg

image sharing

Ok let me try this again... When using the vray distance tex it will create a gradient just like yours, calculated from the object (the water object/mesh pouring out and hitting the water in the tub), and to control the spread/radius of the gradient there is a slider with scene units. Thus it will be more accurate than what you can create with a custom texture. You texture will work too, but it is wasted time/work for something that can be achieved and controlled way more easily with another method.

Hi Adam

There are a few ways to go here.

- You could try out the Pheonix FD demo, it will be great for both foam and splashes, but it will also take you some time getting familiar with.

- Depending on the time you want to spend, a more straight forward way to fake it would be to play with the Ripple and noise modifiers in max. I think they will do for a great start and then just tone down your bump/displace value for the water itself. No need for two planes. Just one and subdivide it a fair bit. In the Ripple modifier you can even control the decay. The modifier itself has a gizmo, so you can place a second or more Ripple modifiers around edges where the bathtub would reflect the ripple effect. Here is a very quick example (+noise modfier):

ripple01.JPG

Red circles mark a Ripple modifier under the tap and a second one is placed a bit behind the "bathtub" with lower values.

Also, I would tone down the DOF effect alot. Its rather confusing as it doesn't really make sense camera wise.Try a different view if you want blur both in front and behind the duck. Else some subtle vignetting and just a bit blurred background would work better. Let us see what you come up with :)

Best of luck!

Ok let me try this again... When using the vray distance tex it will create a gradient just like yours, calculated from the object (the water object/mesh pouring out and hitting the water in the tub), and to control the spread/radius of the gradient there is a slider with scene units. Thus it will be more accurate than what you can create with a custom texture. You texture will work too, but it is wasted time/work for something that can be achieved and controlled way more easily with another method.

I had missed the bit about the Vray distance tex. I will give that a go when i get home. Obviously until i see how the distance tex works i can't comprehend how easy it is to use. I will have a go and re render later. I will probably also focus the entire image, rather than focusing only on the duck.

Hi Adam

There are a few ways to go here.

- You could try out the Pheonix FD demo, it will be great for both foam and splashes, but it will also take you some time getting familiar with.

- Depending on the time you want to spend, a more straight forward way to fake it would be to play with the Ripple and noise modifiers in max. I think they will do for a great start and then just tone down your bump/displace value for the water itself. No need for two planes. Just one and subdivide it a fair bit. In the Ripple modifier you can even control the decay. The modifier itself has a gizmo, so you can place a second or more Ripple modifiers around edges where the bathtub would reflect the ripple effect. Here is a very quick example (+noise modfier):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53692[/ATTACH]

Red circles mark a Ripple modifier under the tap and a second one is placed a bit behind the "bathtub" with lower values.

Also, I would tone down the DOF effect alot. Its rather confusing as it doesn't really make sense camera wise.Try a different view if you want blur both in front and behind the duck. Else some subtle vignetting and just a bit blurred background would work better. Let us see what you come up with :)

Best of luck!

Thank you for your reply also.

My DOF is in photoshop so i can turn that off. I think i will go for a full focused image rather than trying to focus on the duck.

I will apply both methods mentioned (texture mapping & the ripple modifier) and see which results come out best.

Bubbles i think will be PS for now..