Teaching clients how NOT to ZOOM into and image...

jeffreypinheiro

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first post!

I have a visualization client who I am creating marketing images for. Getting to a look and feel that they like has been challenging but we are finally there.

The images are going to be used as printed marketing collateral and on a website. I send draft images and the client consistently zooms into the images and picks out he most minute things. The image will never be viewed zoomed in as they are.

I am just curious to hear if anyone has dealt with this before. It makes me think of old 15th and 16th century oil paintings. They look absolutely beautiful and even photo-realistic at a distance but then you move in close and its a completely different image.

How would you explain this concept to a client?

• 3 weeks later...

It's your job to make them aware of the fact that it will most likely go unnoticed due to how the image is viewed. Sometimes clients need to be educated on the tricks / hacks we sometimes use to save time and save them money (most important thing to stress). If we spent time on every zoomed in detail, we would not be able to give them X pricing. Always bring it back to pricing, its the only thing clients understand sometimes.

every contract should have a specified review number and finite timeline attached. Any work outside of that is billed as additional services. In my experience, most of those pixel-level alterations become less important when a dollar figure is attached and the projects with no firm deadline are the worst offenders.