The Vray Animation Thread

Marco Manunta

Hi guys,

i think that when we are speaking about animation with Vray, there's so much confusion and misunderstandings through the web. The workflow seems so different for each "teacher", both in the forums, youtube, vimeo. Usually the threads/video are a little out of date and you wonder if Vlado invented some new tricks to speed up animations and quality. Chaos Group guide let everybody understand which is the problem with animations, how GI works etc etc. But most of the time this is not sufficient to free your frames from the evil bounds of flickering.

By the way, Youtube and Vimeo are full of outstanding flickering free Archviz Animation made with 3DS + Vray.

So I write this post with the ambition to help myself and others castaways to understand if there's a basic workflow for animations, by sharing yours. It would be really really nice and useful if each one of you could post:

1) an animation/link made with 3DS+Vray

2) settings for the prepasses and final animation.

3) resolution and (if possible) the time for each frame

4) (less important but why not) If you rented a render farm and the cost of the entire animation.

I know that there are different workflows if you have a moving camera with still objects, or both moving or fixed camera with moving object. It's not important, just share your workflow based on these type of animation.

I know it may sound pretentious and there are plenty of possibilities that i'm wasting my time writing this. I hope not, because really there isn't so much informations about animation settings and this forum is full of skilled CG Architects. Shall we prepass Light Cache or Directly the Irradiance Map? Is it important to check "Don't Render the FInal image" on Global Settings during prepasses? Does the noise threshold affect flickering together with GI? Does light/reflections subdivisions affect flickering together with GI? Too much questions and sometimes you don't have the time to wait to see differences unchecking or not an option, especially if you work alone.

I hope to read soon yours experiences and workflows. For the people who are starting now with animations, check this link to the Chaos Group Guide, really useful, but doing what they say, i didn't get optimal results. http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3/Rendering+an+Animation+with+Moving+Objects+II

Thanks!