VRaySkinMtl Normal Map effect not really affecting the shade

mikekime

Hi. I am trying some experiments out and It looks like I'm having difficulty getting the VRaySkinMtl to shade the model nicely.

Here is my test case.

I have set up a very basic scene and tried VRayMtl with the normal map (using Normal Bump and override 1.0 gamma). The results look quite good from what I can tell. (final render is very similar to high poly model with same material minus normal)

I do this exact same setup with VRaySkinMtl and the effect is drastically lessened (features disappear). I have tried cranking it up really high (over 100) but the effect only seems to change in the reflection and not in the shade.

If I bring in the high poly model that was used to make the normal map and apply a raw (no normal bump at all) VRaySkinMtl to it it looks how I want the normal bump to look (and also similar-ish to the afformentioned VRayMtl test).

I understand SSS and physical rendering is going to alter things but I think there is more to it in this case especially since the high poly model looks so different than the Normal Mapped lower poly version.

What can I do to fix this? I have also tried using Vrays "VRayNormalMap" in the bump slot and it is exactly the same.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I'm still having trouble with this.

I don't know how to get or crank up the shading effect the normal map gives inside a VRAYSkinMtl. In a normal VrayMtl it shades exactly how you would expect. When I copy this system over to the Skin material the effect only happens on reflections. The actual "shade" doesn't seem to change.

Is there anything I can do about this for the render (not inpost work)?

thanks.

Thanks Nicolai. I like how that VrayBumpMtl works.

So doing some tests it could be the problem is in some numbers i have going on in some of my SSS materials. May be how much the reflection is cranked up vs how much SS radius (heavy SS). Basically you get a lot of visual detail in the reflection but the shading areas (for lack of a better way to describe it) kind of disappear. Best guess is the radius.

thanks