Poor client behaviour?

pcoombes

Can I get a bit of advice on a bad client.

I was asked to provide several animations for a TV series. These were done and paid for and are currently being broadcast. All good.

But during the process I was told not to produce one of the agreed animations. No problem I thought, they've decided not

to go with that project. I hadn't started on that particular animation so no lost work. I was invoicing per project, which meant no money for that project.

But last night when I watched the latest episode, they had used another company to produce the animation for that project.

The quality was similar or slightly worse than mine.

Up to that point I thought our relationship was great. They paid on time, they were happy with the work and even the reviews were complimentary about my animations.

Now my contract has nothing in it regarding exclusivity, but it just seems like pretty shitty practice to me.

Before I go and have a 'word' with them, does anyone have any advice? There is a second series in the works, but I haven't been approached yet.

Not sure I want to work with them if they are going to carry on like this.

Is this fair practice? Am I being a bit precious?

Any thoughts, experience or advice?

possibly bit precious, there are probably a few factors behind their decision to use some-one else that you dont know about. Its a big part of the TV game where there are often several different studios producing for the same show. Some producers use it as a bargaining chip to get more work for less.

If you were to be contacted again, then it would be a good time to discuss exclusivity etc. Why would you turn down work from an otherwise good client that pays on time? Seems a bit shortsighted to me.

yes, you are being precious.

Completely agree, though not bashing you. I understand how you feel as it has happened to me, probably most of us. I cannot do every job for every client, sometimes my competition works for my clients (all the time, in fact). It is counter-productive to take it personally. Expecting loyalty from clients is not realistic. Be glad for the work you get, work harder for the work you want, knowing you may not get it.

One way I try to lock a client into a multi-part project is to base pricing on it--first part is expensive, second less so, last part less so. That way, if they only want part of it and hire someone else for the rest, they are automatically paying me the highest rate, if they stick with me they get the discount rate.

I agree too that you are being too precious. If you're concerned about your client going to another company, you have to build exclusivity into the contract. That being said, you might find that a hard sell. Don't take it personally or as a reflection of your work if your client goes with someone else. Always work with clients that pay on time too ;) haha