texture baking with vray...

oluv

is this possible?

i know that there was a little proggie called bake3d for vray, but it was not too advanced and it only worked with max4 and 5.

now i tried texture baking with max7 and vray but max says that vray doesn't support texture-baking.

does anyone know more about this?

i have seen some VR-examples that were claimed to be baked within vray, so how did all the others manage?

many thanks for any response!

best regards, o.

oluv,

I was just about to purchase vRay until I read your post. We need an excellent piece of software that properly bakes textures into a model for real-time playback.

Lightscape, max 6/7 didn't work and I was told that vray was a good option. How bad was your experience with the baking? Are you aware of any other plugins that work? Brazil, Final Render?

S

oluv,

Lightscape, max 6/7 didn't work and I was told that vray was a good option. How bad was your experience with the baking? Are you aware of any other plugins that work? Brazil, Final Render?

S

lightscape doesn't do texture baking well, that's true, you can have a look at some post in the lightscape forum regarding this topic, there are some workarounds though: http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7781

but max7 really works perfect for me. i am not an experienced max user and only got deeper into it because of texture baking. i use max radiosity and regather for baking and i am quite satisfied with the results.

i cannot say anthing about brazil or final render as i have never used them but according to some renderer comparison list i found on the web somewhere, they were not able of texture-baking. maybe this has already changed, i cannot say.

i hoped that vray would work because it is so much faster than max regather. so let's see what the new versions are going to bring...

I think the latest beta supports the standard MAX texture baking now.

not sure if they can seperate out the passes yet. But maybe soon.

hey christopher! i only use vray-free for fooling around a bit, so i don't know anything about any recent updates, because the official vrayrender website doesn't provide any actual information, you can only download 1.09.03 there.

so who is responsible for the development of vray now and what about distribution? where can i find information?

oluv,

Why are you texture-baking your models? Have you tried exporting them into a real-time scene? If so do you have to do it often?

I've been told that vRay baking is good (with the exception of your first post) but wondering if I should save the $ and just focus on Max.

I sent vRay an email regarding this feature but they haven’t responded.

i mostly bake for realtime walkthrough models, as well as realtime product-visualisations. with baked lightmaps the models gain so much. max radiosity is really good, but with regather it can take quite long to bake.

please let me know if you get some information from the vray-people.