3ds max geometry in viewport is disappearing and looks torn apart

fattonyrends

Hello !

I have an issue with previewing the geometry in 3ds max.

It is disappearing and not previewing when zooming in.

System units are "mm". but also check in meters and nothing changed.

Also there is issue with gizmo in perspective only, that it doesn't move smoothly but in steps.

It seems like an issue with scale, but i have to work in "mm".

Is there some solution for this ?

Thank you !

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

There's no good reason to work in mm on a large building in Max. Why do you have to?

xref your building (mm) into a new scene (system unit scale m, display unit scale mm if you wish), then merge it. This sorts out the scale for you. Work in m, your display issues should improve. If someone needs the model in mm later, do the opposite.

If the geometry is from another program... that could be the problem. Export and then import the geometry as FBX, I find this often sorts stuff out.

The mm is mostly because of the modifiers and 3rd partly plug-ins that work in mm automatically.

I tried to changing system units to meters but i haven't saved on new scene, so i am going to try that.

The thing is that in other scenes with same scale projects there is no problem, but in this one there is.

Process was importing from Sketch,but everything was remodeled, the imported sketch up model was used only as the reference for dimensions.

Yes, but this is not that issue.

I see the general model, the problem is that facs are half broken or missing. Like is see just half ghosted. It was pretty much the issue with units, which helped when moved to scene with meters as unit. But as i said, the problem is now that i lost all the modifiers.

Try a simple test. Draw out a box of a known size and match it to your building. If a window should be 30x30, then a 30x30 box should match. If not, then your building is way overscaled and causing all of the breaking issues.

If it does match, but if your say UVW modifier still shows up at 1,000 times larger, then you need to reset your xforms on all of your objects. If you take a 50x50x50 box in Max and scale it to 5x5x5, your modifiers will still come it at 50x50x50 until you actually reset the x-form to set the scale back to the new size.

Hmm... I haven't seen the modifier scale issue using this method, so I tested it. A 20mm Shell automatically changes to 0.02m as expected, but a 20mm Push goes wrong, comes in as 20m. So that sucks. I don't really have an easy solution, sorry. Other than start in m next time, but you don't want to hear that right now probably... Perhaps Zorb Modifier Modifier could help you fix the faulty modifiers reasonably quickly once it's in m.

Hi Fat Tony, We've come across this problem too. Do what you've done regarding moving your model closer to the origin, but also check that if you are importing from another model, check that the imported model does not contain any geometry very far from the origin. This can be easy to miss, if for example you are importing a client's Revit model and they have a "stray" item of geometry within the model (in our case the client had a map of Ireland (yes the whole country) hidden in a separate "phase" of the project, so even though the model was relatively small and moved closer to the origin, this hidden geometry was making 3dsMax import it as a model several hundred kilometers wide, which causes the gliltches in the geometry which you described.

Hope this helps.

regards

Jesper Pedersen

http://www.pedersenfocus.ie

I have had this issue since I started using max years ago. It's shite. Basically the viewport is broken and Autodesk can't be bothered to fix it.

Yes, there are work arounds and various things you can do to mitigate it a bit but ultimately it doesn't work as it should.

It's worth checking what card you're using, as Max / Autodesk now have officially suported cards, which apparently should help / cure the problem.

What I tend to do is work in orthographic view, and this sorts the problem for me.

Hi Dean,

Sorry but this is terrible advice! I can only assume the problem you are thinking of is different to the glitch relating to geometry size being too big for 3ds Max to handle, since no graphics card or use of orthogonal viewport is gong to "fix" geometry which the software has failed to import correctly.

I'm sure you are trying to help but if someone tries to continue working with a messed up geometry file they waste a lot of time before eventually discovering the mesh is actually corrupted and they will need to start again. Yes it should be fixed by Autodesk, but since they've had about 15-20 years to do it (if we include Discreet), we can only assume it's VERY tricky technically to correct this glitch ..hmm.

Regards

Jesper Pedersen

Hi Dean,

Sorry but this is terrible advice! I can only assume the problem you are thinking of is different to the glitch relating to geometry size being too big for 3ds Max to handle, since no graphics card or use of orthogonal viewport is gong to "fix" geometry which the software has failed to import correctly.

I'm sure you are trying to help but if someone tries to continue working with a messed up geometry file they waste a lot of time before eventually discovering the mesh is actually corrupted and they will need to start again. Yes it should be fixed by Autodesk, but since they've had about 15-20 years to do it (if we include Discreet), we can only assume it's VERY tricky technically to correct this glitch ..hmm.

Regards

Jesper Pedersen

Umm, well as the post title says "viewport", not mesh, I'm gussing the OP is having trouble viewing the mesh in the viewport, and does infact import correctly. I have this issue all the time when importing a file for Sketch-up. There's nothing actually wrong with the mesh, just a viewport glitch. If I hit render it looks fine, so I know the actual geometry is correct.

Is that enough "terrible" advice for today?