Lenovo Y700 17 ISK for 3Ds Max and Vray

I'm professional 3d architectural visualization artist and works in 3Ds Max, Vray and little bit in after effects. I need your suggestion to buy a laptop because I'm new to laptops.

I'm looking for a laptop to replace my desktop and after lot of research and skylake waiting, finally Lenovo has launched skylake gaming laptop Y700 17ISK. I'm not sure if it's good enough for my uses.Though it's a gaming laptop but I'll be using it only for above mentioned softwares and no gaming. Can you guys guide me on my decision please ? Also, how much would you rate this laptop against Y510p ?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance !!!

thanks for responding!

Have you heard about Y700 ? It has a great cooling system. I'm not a big fan of laptops but I need a laptop to use both at my home and office. I understand laptop doesn't stand in front of desktops that's why I never purchased a laptop and it's my first time.

I also agree with Nikolaos, I had Lenovos laptops in the past, never used for work just aside machine for trips, they all burn after a while. I used to have IBM they last much longer, but after they got bought by Lenovo the quality went down pretty bad.

If you need a work machine you need to invest in something like a Dell inspirion workstation laptop or maybe an MSI top of the line gaming machine.

I have experience with Dell and they work fine with all CAD application and rendering task. I would also recommend a extra fan ;)

I also agree with Nikolaos, I had Lenovos laptops in the past, never used for work just aside machine for trips, they all burn after a while. I used to have IBM they last much longer, but after they got bought by Lenovo the quality went down pretty bad.

If you need a work machine you need to invest in something like a Dell inspirion workstation laptop or maybe an MSI top of the line gaming machine.

I have experience with Dell and they work fine with all CAD application and rendering task. I would also recommend a extra fan ;)

That's why I considered Dell m3800 but it is also pretty slim laptop. Wouldn't that have cooling problems?

It also costs about $3000 here in India

Why did you referred AW and ROG over Y700 ? Maybe they are better machines but they will be too expensive when available (not yet available) in india because Y700 is $1200 in US I think and it's costing me about $2000 here in india. That always been a problem for us here :(

Anyways, so you guys say Y700 is not worth the money ?

I think you have already made up your mind :). Try it and tell us if it's going well in rendering and if it's keeping cool enough during full load. I can't find any particular feedback about its operating temperatures. Max temperatures of about 80° (for cpu and gpu) are normal for gaming laptops, but I don't know if rendering would push cpu temps much further, because during gaming the cpu temps are somehow affected by the gpu temps too, due to the fact that the use the same heat pipes for cooling (at least, this is what Asus does with its ROG laptops), whilst in cpu rendering the gpu sits doing nothing.

I knew you would think that way :) :) but trust me it's not like that but it's about the cost we get the laptops at. It's very frustrating to pay unnecessary higher prices for a decent laptop here. The reason why I'm thinking to get Y700 or similar is that it costs about $2000 here and this is the general budget any 3d professional would keep to get a decent machine. That's why I was asking if there's anybody who knows about this laptop and give me his/her suggestions. If it's really that bad, I will have to raise my budget to $4000 because 17" version of Alienware and ROGs costs that much here.

I didn't say it's bad. Not at all. Specs seem promising. But, there is literally no specific feedback right now about it's thermal behavior. Not the theoretical one, but the actual real life behavior.

That's my only objection. Maybe you should wait a little and see if other users report thermal issues while gaming etc. It's one of these cases that one shouldn't be an early adopter and wait for reviews before purchasing. And this is because you're not going to use it only for designing tasks, but for cpu rendering too.

Yes, that's why I asked here in the forum if anybody can suggest anything. Yes, the specs are actually great, only GPU is not best but good enough for purposes. I have seen a review on youtube which says cooling has been improved drastically from its predecessor Y50 or Y510p but I would wait for more reviews if I don't get any suggestions here in this forum.

Thanks for your time ;)