Anyone use Para 3D/Mathsurf?

Kirsten Zirngibl

I'm considering buying the "Para 3D" plugin for Max. http://torabiarchitect.com/parametric-array/

How long does it take to get up to speed? (I'm trying to decide whether it's worth waiting to learn it until after my deadline, or whether I could actually make something good with it within the week.)

I have no experience with NURBS... which it seems to use extensively. Is it a good idea to learn those well without messing with Para 3D?

Is it better for "happy accidents" than realizing an exact vision?

Also, specifically for Mathsurf, can you get by without knowing the in's and outs of the formulas? In other words, is trial/error sufficient?

Any other thoughts on it, hard-to-find resources, pitfalls to avoid, whether it's worth the money, etc...?

Thanks.

Edited by kirstenzirngibl

Yeah I've used it a bit but back in version 2.8/3.0. I think he's on 4.0 or so now so it's a bit more advanced.

I found it very helpful and I would recommend it. Only caveat is there's not a lot of resources to learn from. The para 3d community is small so having resources to learn from is the only problem with it.

Take a look at Kory Bieg from OTA+, his videos are helpful. Also Digitales Entwerfen on youtube is good but a lot of videos are german only.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kory+bieg+3ds+max&page=2

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalesEntwerfen

Hey Kevin, thanks for the recommends.

What makes a lot of the training material less-than-great is that much of it is for the old version, which has a COMPLETELY different layout. The new one mimics the Slate material editor in functionality. Which is fine. Except it makes all the old material harder to follow. This is the problem with Kory Bieg's stuff.

I did find the "official" youtube channel (at least, by the guy who runs it) Ali Torabi.

Edited by kirstenzirngibl

You're correct, all of that stuff is very different looking but the operations are similar. I think major interface and performance strides were made by Ali since 2.8 and it's light years ahead now.

His tutorials are much better now and there are a few things out there. I'd say if you have some time go for it, otherwise, maybe the ghosttown plugin or iToo Railclone would be better if you're doing simple parametric stuff in 3dsmax. Otherwise your only other option is to pursue it via Adaptive Components in Revit, or generate your geometry in Rhino using Grasshopper since there's infinite resources on Grasshopper out in the world.