C4D vs. MAX

cullen

I've really been looking at changing the way I do my modeling and rendering lately. I have not been extremely happy with my render times and outcomes that I've been getting in MAX 6. I've been thinking about getting vray but I've also been thinking pretty heavily about C4D.

My questions are:

1. Is there a large learning curve between MAX/VIZ to C4D?

2. Do you have to purchase other renderers to get better speed and quality.

3. Does C4D except AutoCAD files such as ADT drawings very well.

(Most of my work is received from architectural offices and I use ADT like crazy)

4. How are the animation features.

I've seen a lot of renedering lately from MAX and C4D. It just seems the c4D rendering are of better quality and have faster rendering times.

Thanks for your help.

crw

I cant really answer that. I hated the Max interface/methodology when I tried it. Cinema always seemed natural to me. In my opinion its interface is one of its strongest features. You will LOVE the object manager.

Currently the only rendering engines available are the base and the Advanced Render Module. There are rumours of VRay and of course Maxwell. I'm actually quite surprised there arent more available.

3. Does C4D except AutoCAD files such as ADT drawings very well. (Most of my work is received from architectural offices and I use ADT like crazy)

I model in FormZ and transfer with DXF. I think Strat and Ernest model in ACad. Cinema plays nicely with many file formats - DWG is not one.

Excellent. Character tools are still weak, but thats not what we do.

I've seen a lot of renedering lately from MAX and C4D. It just seems the c4D rendering are of better quality and have faster rendering times.

I've seen excellent images produced with just about every single piece of software. Just like anything else, C4D is only as good as the user.

As always, I suggest you download the demos and give them a spin. Ask as many questions as you can and everyone here will try their best to answer. Additionally, if you already own a license of another 3D app, you may qualify for cross-grade pricing on C4D.

just to expand on top of Steve's replies with my own opinions -

not really. it's obviously different, and the GUI takes a bit of getting used to, but it's much of a muchness with 3d apps these days. they do the same thing, only the methods to get there are slightly different. no great shakes imo.

absolutely not. C4D is renouned and famous for it's speedy quallity renderer. A major reason why allot of peeps use it (me included).

3. Does C4D except AutoCAD files such as ADT drawings very well. (Most of my work is received from architectural offices and I use ADT like crazy)

C4D will imports .3DS files and .DXF files nicely from AutoCAD. As for exporting from C4D? it exports .3DS and .DXF for use in AutoCAD very nicely too.

Word of note though - dont expect magic out of C4D's 2d drawing or import/export routines. imo C4D's 2d side of things need a desparate overhall.

Absolutely fine for architectural flybys/walkthroughs. much more easily controled camera atributes than viz/max for instance. remember, i use both apps and C4D wins hands down in 75% of comparrisons you can make.

Strat - Steve said that you us AutoCAD for your modeling.

I think he does, but I have been slandered! I have never used AutoCad! I do model in CAD, however--DataCad. It is not holding up to what I need, however (after 17 years or so of daily use) so I will switch to either FormZ, Rhino or Cinema (own all, but still using CAD). Old habits die hard.

Thanks for the info guys.

Strat - Steve said that you us AutoCAD for your modeling. Is it easier to model your building or scene in AutoCAD then import to CD4?

absolutely 100% correct (thats for my situation anyway). you can model it just as fast and easy in C4D, but it'll lack the accuracy CAD will offer you.

i do 99% of all my modelling in CAD because of the obvious CAD advantages over 3d apps. Also, it's my chosen methodology to CAD a model up rather than 3D app it up because i feel more comfortable doing it that way.

but ofcourse, you can equally get the job done without CAD ;)

C4D is much the same as any other 3d app. does the same things, just differently. but like all other 3d apps, it lacks the infinate accuracy that CAD will always offer. but hey, that topic has been discussed numerous times before in the forum.

I do 60-80% in FormZ. Dependant on the scene, some things are easier in C4D. I often create outlines in FormZ and then sweep them in C4D. Instances are another useful feature, as are itterations on splines. But all of these things fall into a general methodology topic which is not necessarily related to our topic at hand.

Well I've got a demo version of C4D now. I was going to try and play with a file thats already finished. I'm trying to open the file from the Kill Bill Challenge and it tells me that the .fbx is not recongnized. Do I have to open it differently? The .3ds is messed up or something.