Composite Map grinding Max to a halt! - ' Anyone know Why?

TomasEsperanza

In the Slate material editor, using composite maps is making Max 2014 practically unusable.

I don't know what to do; I wanted to follow Bertrand Benoit's Road Tutorial:

http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/nakagin-photoreal-road-tutorial/

...and now I can't :(

My workstation is decent, and is usually well behaved. I updated the Nvidia driver (clean), but to no avail.

The scene is really light, and the maps aren't massive.

Is this a common problem; a well known bug, or...?

' Was surprised not to find more complaints about this via Google.

' Anyone else had this?

Also, as I thought maybe the file was corrupted or something, I started a new scene and merged in a bit at a time. But the problem only appears when I wire up a Composite map.

I thought it is pretty much common knowledge how horrible 3dsMax own maps are with composite and color correction among being the worst. They used to bring heavy performance penalty, which is "almost" thing of a past, but I still would suggest to avoid them as much as necessary. Too bad that they're quite useful : /

Composite is not only slow to use, slows down mat editor, too many operations quickly after each other will crash 3dsMax and the rendering performance will suffer if used heavily in scene. This is bit too much to stomach for simple mathematical operation like that...

They should just look at Unreal4. 5000+ nodes in single material and not a single drawback in manipulation of mat editor or scene at all....