ianmoran

1450188172.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Client: N/A
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Maya, Vray, Photoshop
Description:

Hello guys,

I am struggling with this one. I am trying to put together a scene with a property within an open environment, hills in the background etc.... But no matter how many times I look at it and make modifications, I just can not get it to look like the whole scene fits together. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated at this point.

I have attached a couple of examples I have been working on. Not happy! :(

Thanks guys.

OMeara05.jpg

OMeara06.jpg

well... what do you want to achieve? any reference pics?

-the quality of the background picture is too low..(low res hdri?) the 3D trees as well (too much dof?)

-the roof material is too reflective

-the interior/exterior lighting is a bit too strong

-The foreground: (besides the shrubs) half the pciture nothing but grass,gravel and pavement

-try a different camera angle (lower? from the left)

-I would try an evening- or a rainy scene...

Perhaps do what i do when i add people or other 2d stuff into a 3d render - apply a black and white filter on top so that everything appears black and white. Then adjust the levels of the background so that it looks right in black and white. That way you wont get distracted by the colors. Then you remove the black and white filter and adjust the colors if necessary.

no people or fog/rain will make this image look better, if first you can't match your image with the background, as it is your camera seems too high, the horizon on your back image is lower, it's making your house look like it is sinking or falling back.

I will recommend to lower your camera and maybe move it to one side, with those tall thick garden light, it will be all what you see if you keep your camera as is. Maybe try a different lens size, I am guessing a 50 mm will works better or 35 mm. you need to reduce your landscaping and make the house more visible. push your mountain closer.

Your 3D Scene seems to have the Sun very low behind the camera, in your background image the sun is higher and coming from the right in front of your 3D camera. This can be a challenge when you don't have other images as background, but if this is not a real project you should look for an image that fits better. or make everything 3D.

With all those basics covered, then you can put people, dogs, squires and fog or rain if you fancy.

House-Close-Steep-Rocky-Mountain-Switzerland-812751.jpg

House-near-mountains.jpg

Thank you so much guys. Some great suggestions here. I am gonna start with the camera angle and lens now and build it up from there. I like the suggestion to match in black and white first so not to get distracted by the colours. That would never have occurred to my tiny brain. And you are right about the sun not matching with the backplate. I need to use different images. And yes, the foreground is kinda boring and plain I think. I will get on it now and post an update once completed. Thanks again guys.

Hello guys,

Here is an update of the project I was working on.

I have made a number of changes but the main ones are:

1. Moved the camera angle to the left and down. Changed the focal length to 50mm.

2. Changed the background. As it is an Australian property so I went outside with my camera and took some background shots a few evenings ago that I thought may match better.

3. I have played with it a lot in Photoshop to try to match the background with the render etc. I started by using the idea of getting it to match in black and white and then turning the colour back on. I never got it 100% there but I feel that I am starting to understand it a bit better now.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated as I would like to keep using this project as a learning exercise for myself.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

OMearaFull02.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Okay another update... This time I have used a background from my local area in Australia and taken the shot just after sunset. I still can not get it to all composite together well despite practising with Photoshop a lot recently. Any advice would be much appreciated... Thanks guys.

OMeara_BlueHour02.jpg

Yes thanks, I have seen it. I even became a member of Andrew's Architecture Academy some time ago. The course was all in Blender and I am using Maya, but I was able to transfer most of the skills over to Maya quite comfortably. It is a good course. I enjoying it.

i think you should watch it again, and watch it carefully this time :). . I mean he's not the absolute guide for the things you are looking for but all of the stuff that he summerized are pretty much it. He is making the points in almost all of it.. Though it was originally intended for interior scene but some of the points he mentioned are also relevant for exterior scene (e.g. Not the ceiling stuff for exterior scene)...

It doesn't matter the tools you used, maya, blender, max, you name it. But the principles he mentioned was universal and applicable, well at least for ANY of the architectural vizualization.

I'd suggest you asked yourself: what you really want to show? to convey to your audience of your scene? is it the house design? Or the harmony of whole landscape along with the house?..

To me, the updates indeed makes a difference and went a bit better esp for your try to take it off centered one, but really i still didn't get it in all of the scene... What is your point?

Look at the pic i attached, then think of this words:

personality,

point,

focal point,

harmony,

point of interest,

composition.

How would those words works in the pic attached and in your scenes, goodluck ;-) for example, 1st clue: foreground plants...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453030544.340953.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453030530.583413.jpg

Edited by inpowwatir