Iray 3ds max 2014, i cant believe it !!!!

ezzwaftswafta

I think you need to understand that, when they say, it is faster, that depends of the scene and hardware.

Quadro 4000 is a great pro card, but it is very old for anything GPU render related.

If you take that same scene and try a new GTX 970 or 980ti, or titans it will render a lot faster.

Having said that, your scene does not seems to be well lit any ways, your environment is black, that wont bounce enough GI inside your room, also you need some interior lights to compensate.

Well, it won't.

The technologies are different, it may seems faster, but depending of your scene you may run out of memory before you can render in the GPU, that's why this type of technology is not a big hit in Arch Viz.

Some thing will render faster, but is not a day a night change for everything. If you do product visualization, GPU rendering will work great for you.

Question; if you have V Ray, why in the world you would want to use IRAY??? why to even bother.

VRay as also a GPU rendering, it is also fast, but again it won't replace completely your regular V Ray workflow.

Some other people will pop here loving GPU rendering, and life changing experiences will come too. I tried, keep trying, it does not fit my workflow as in House arch viz artist. it does not fit my workflow as a freelancer arch viz.

YMWV

• 5 months later...

hello guys, how are you!!!

Great information, I am using Iray right now rendering for 7 hours and it's in iteration # 267 !!! am using old laptop core 2 duo @2 GHz, 3GB ram, no graphic card, thats why it took too long time, for using Iray as much as iteration as good render will be, but using Vray seems to be better, I've used Vray years ago but i forgot it, now when I saw this post I remeberd that it's realy fast but sometime needs more work to get what in your mind about render output...

• 4 weeks later...
because i know GPU should be much faster than CPU,

my graphic card is : Quadro 4000

I just saw an article from ChaosGroup yesterday, downloaded it and read it from beginning to end. I was also under the false impression that GPU is faster. It is not usually faster. It can handle more, that is, it's parallel processing, its how much more it can do at any given time compared against a CPU, which is faster at handling individual buckets with each core. Having said that, if your scene does not require much computation per pixel or buckets, then each pixel gets handled that much faster and thus the GPU can handle more than the CPU by the sheer volume it can take on against the CPU. But if each bucket/pixel requires more speed, then the CPU gains advantage over the GPU. Its basically all relative. The more GPUs you have, then the faster it will go, because it can handle that many more pixels at any given time over the CPU. Hope that makes somewhat sense.