Exterior house + grass - tips on taking this to the next level?

stayinwonderland

1450469081.jpg

Studio/Institution: ArchVizSeattle
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: 3ds max, vray, forest
Description:

Overall this piece is a level up for me. I spent a SOLID week trying to figure out how to make my grass less uniform and more realistic. Became obsessed with grass every time I saw it in real life :p

But I'd like to know how to move beyond this if anyone has any advice.

Glass is all about reflections, if you place object around your scene or in the area that will be reflected by the glass it will make it look more "real".

Also if you model each panel separated and instead of using a large polygon, then you can select each individual panel and rotate just a little so they all are not facing exactly in the same direction, this will create color and reflection variance that really help to sell the effect.

you could also collapse all glass meshes and apply a small noise modifier to the vertex, this will create planes variations in your glass. just the same effect that you get modifying each panel separate.

That image is looking really good BTW.

ha ha ha I just realized you wrote Grass, and not glass..... man I been drinking too much coffee today. What an idiot ha ha ha

If you are using Forrest pro or multi scatter, try to increase the size variations and rotation, defaults are OK but sometimes more variation help in large areas. In Forrest you can activate clusters, they look very real.

Also less is more. if you look picture of landscaping there is several empty areas or areas with less dense grass or planting, when you add those areas it really give depth to your landscaping. Other than that color variation and some dodge or darken in Photoshop should do the trick.

• 3 months later...

Try to cut the grass. People with a house that nice usually own a lawn mower. :rolleyes: When I see renderings like this, it makes the house look abandoned. I know this is more of an exercise for you, but that's my two cents.

Side note, the door handles are too high, they should be around 3' above the floor.

That being said, it's still a nice rendering.

Without reading some of the other posts, the things that stand out to me are the unrealistic grass, it needs to be cut and is never so uniform. It looks like a carpet as it rolls up the hill where the man is standing. The handles on the door are also too high, they need to be quite a bit lower. The silvery looking connections stand out too much IMO and is deterring from the realism. The glass balusters are also quite larger than life and are very unlikely in this type of home, especially on the roof. The glass on the side of the building facing the man, and on the far left of the porch look great though. The stairway and the layers of roof on the "porch" area look a little boxy and flat. Overall it is a nice image, just pointing out things that my brain is picking out as unusual/non-realistic.