final gather cache for animation

SgWRX

i seem to have lost my way regarding final gathering for animations. i also seemed to now have confused myself review the documentation in 3ds max for animation and final gather.

i have a target camera that starts at the south end of a soccer field and arc's closer and to the east. the camera target is fixed at the center of the soccer field. the animation length is 600 frames and it's a fairly long distance being covered. there are no moving objects in the scene. the camera is the only thing moving along a path.

i've forgotten the best way to cache the final gather map.

do i:

1. set cache to single file only

2. set FG to "project fg points from camera position (best for stills)"

3. set to incrementally add FG to file

4. click the drop-down next to "generate final gather map file now" and choose 0-600

thus generating an FG solution for each of the 600 frames from the camera's position?

or is it better to:

1. set cache to single file only

2. set FG to "project points from position along camera path", choose something close to every 10 frames (in my example 64 points over 600 frames)

i know that 1 final gather cache file per frame is desirable for objects that are moving within a scene, like a car moving in a parking lot, or people walking, and that mode allows you to interpolate between multiple final gather cache files (before/after the frame being rendered).

thanks,

PS-in my earlier days, i thought i remembered just using 1 fg cache file and generating it every 10 frames or every 5 frames.

PPS - the option "project points from position along camera path" is only good when using a single FG cache map? also, does this option also interpolate? so no need to generate an FG solution for each frame of animation (in my case 600)?

thanks again :)

is it better to project

unless you have moving object, the second workflow that you mentioned is correct. You don't need to render FG for every frame if the camera only is moving, it may create more flickering in your FG solution. you only need to check how often you get samples compared to how fast the camera moves. But usually every 10 or 15 frames will do just fine.

unless you have moving object, the second workflow that you mentioned is correct. You don't need to render FG for every frame if the camera only is moving, it may create more flickering in your FG solution. you only need to check how often you get samples compared to how fast the camera moves. But usually every 10 or 15 frames will do just fine.

ok thanks for the confirmation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk