New to Vray - Grainy reflections / render

dustinowens

Hello all. Sorry for this to be my first post but I'm kind of under the gun here. As the title says I'm new to Vray in 3ds Max and having some issues. Everything in this render sets up the way I want it to except for the reflections on the wood floor and some graininess in a few other areas as well (picture frame). This is also my first interior rendering as well. I'll do my best to list all the factors that might help in diagnosing what's going on here.

1) Lighting from outside is from a Vray Sun all the rest are vray lights on the inside

2)GI is enabled

3)Primary engine = Irradiance map @ 6.0

4)Secondary = Brute force @ 1.0

5)The floor does not have any kind of bump mapping on it

6)All of the lights have been changed to have 12 subdivisions

One thing also to note is that problem gets worse if I render it at a larger pixel dimension.

I've seen others posting that they had this issue but no one seems to post their solutions. Help please

Thanks.

Example1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The grainy reflections are caused by not having enough sub divisions in the reflection of the material. You will have to increase the sub divisions on the material. The default is 8, change it to 32, to see if it improves. Using multiple passes can also help identifying the source.

Here is a great tutorial to understand V-ray optimization.

http://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/vray_optimization/