360 panorama video to regular video

Chad Warner

So, we've been playing with 360 video panoramas that are interactive and playable on YouTube:

The issue is that rendering out 4K video takes a MASSIVE amount of time to render, with only one option for output.

So what I'd like to be able to do is un-distort the distorted video to be able to capture a simple pan or track of the space that I can use for regular 720p video.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

you could remap it back onto a sphere / cube in fusion/nuke and then re-render 720 with either a imported max camera or a new fusion one

Haven't ever used fusion or Nuke, I'll have to give it a look. I did try to map the pano on a sphere inside of Max which worked, but the output quality is never the same as the input for some reason.

have you tried just loading in the 360 degree vid to your Max environment background set to spherical and render using a free camera? renders in seconds using scanline. depending on res/quality/bitmap filtering, it may work for what you need.

As an alternate, I'd suggest using HDRshop to convert the spherical image.

have you tried just loading in the 360 degree vid to your Max environment background set to spherical and render using a free camera? renders in seconds using scanline. depending on res/quality/bitmap filtering, it may work for what you need.

As an alternate, I'd suggest using HDRshop to convert the spherical image.

I did try that (and have done that in the past) but I can never get the environment map to be as clear as the render going in to it (if that makes any sense).

I think I figured out a solution using after effects, they have an environment option that seems like it'll work.