Seeking Help and Critique to Improve on realism in Renders.

ruanpretorius

Hi.

I have taught myself mostly the basics on using Vray. But as you might have guessed, I have a rough time getting renders to be completely Photo realistic. I am posting here with the hope, of getting some pointers on how to accomplish this. Any Critique is welcome, I do know, there might be some stuff that I am doing wrong.

I use Sketchup to do my modeling and Photoshop to do my texturing work mostly.

I will attach some of my renders to give a clear example of what I have. If any other resources is required, feel free to ask, and I will provide them.

Thanks.

Coffee Table + Plasma Stand 3.jpg

Coricraft Light.jpg

lantern light testing.jpg

Pretty Lantern.jpg

Trend 2.0.jpg

Hi Ruan,

There are quite a few simple things that you need to do to improve your renders.Look at your models and improve them. You can have the best lighting ever created, but your renders won't look photo real, without the models looking real. Make sure your textures are setup correctly and realistically too.

Use the VRay camera or 3dsmax camera like a real camera. Setup the exposure properly and use it like you would a real one. If you improve your photography knowledge in the real world, and bring that to your renders you should see a vast improvement.

There are plenty of tutorials online about photo-realistic lighting and rendering so search around and invest your time in your efforts to improve. Just asking isn't the answer, you'll need a lot of hard graft to get there but if you apply what happens in the real world in to your renders, they can only improve.

Good luck!

These are looking cool but of course, there is always room for substantial improvement.

I would suggest getting into the basics of physically based rendering (V-Ray, Corona) as that appears to be the easiest way to obtain realism in your renders.

The renderer itself won't give you magical results as it is a combined "effort" of great models (attention to details, so called imperfections) and lighting, texturing work. To get that going you will probably need to divulge yourself into some reading but luckily there are a lot of tutorials and courses available online. A good place to start might also be the Allegorithmic PBR guide (https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide) if that is not too advanced for you yet.

Oh and this doesn't mean that you can't do photorealism with standard renderers and photoshop compositing but it might be a little easier with the before mentioned (mostly) unbiased renderers as the PBR engines themselves produce physically correct results from the get go - you just need to learn the rules of material creation in such programs :)