community worship

SgWRX

1454076918.jpg

Studio/Institution: 3dDigitalDesigns
Genre: Commercial Exterior
Software: 3ds Max 2016, mentalray, photoshop, pixplant, forestPro
Description:

having a hard time with figuring out the asphalt surface best approach. maybe braking it up into smaller components and then brushing in some bumps or seams in photoshop.

any other comments? thanks for reviewing!

steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53968[/ATTACH]

i think that's best - using a tileable asphalt texture. i did a mix of three of the same texture at different output levels, a dark, medium and light. the thing that i've been trying to achieve is various cracks and crack patches (that rubber overlay), but oil stains.

i've been really diving into the noise maps and playing with them, compositing them together using a multiply mode with the three different asphalt bitmaps. the bitmap seems to look better if i scale it up, instead of saying the bitmap is 2ft x 2ft, i made it 6ft x 6ft. anyway, in this image i've composited (using mentalray) my three variations of asphalt texture at the bottom layer then two layers of noise above it in multiply.

the first noise layer is size 200, fractal, black and white, inverted, color ramp enabled. the color ramp has 4 points added in the middle, they are: (0.485, 0) - (0.485, 1) - (0.489, 1) - (0.489, 0) this looks like it's giving me decent "cracks" or squiggly lines where they might apply tar over the top of cracks.

the second noise layer is size 50, fractal, black and white, threshold high: .35, threshold low: .25. the color ramp is enabled with 1 point added near the middle and dragged to position (0.963, 0). this noise layer seems to work OK for generating oil spots.

finally i added a photoshop noise map in the bump of this material but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference, it's subtle.

EDIT - so i forgot to say that this is REALLY marked up overall. i'm going to have to play with the sizes of the noise maps to see if i can change how often oil spots and tar lines appear, or another way to say it is how much space is between them.

worship centers should really be portrayed in a very open and welcoming setting. That's the point, right? In the image, you have rather large, natural barriers separating the viewer from the subject and the main entrance is in dark shadow. Asphalt isn't the problem.

As a side note, is the car closest to the viewer using a lift kit? Ground clearance seems unusually high for a 4 door sedan.

thanks john, ugh i know my cars never seem to look "right". i haven't had a lot of time to tweak but will tackle that soon!

that's a great point about the entrance and barriers... there's no "flow to the door". so this could be addressed a number of different ways and i'll look at that.