Render node single rack server, any benefits ?

Hi all,

I know this may seem a stupid question but hopefully someone can help.

I don't have room for a render farm and just want a cheap node to sit on my desk.

I have been offered the oppterunity to purchase a HP Proliant DL380 G5 with 2 x Xeon e5450 3.0ghz and 32gb ram very cheaply. I would want to use it as a render slave for Vray and Corona however, my workstation is a core i7 4770k with 32gb ram.

I was wondering two things:

1./ When rendering in distributed rendering can i use my workstation and the HP rack server together to render a single frame providing better speed through more buckets, or does one just the server have to render leaving the pc free to be used while rendering. I would like to speed up rendering by combining the two.

2./ If i just render with the HP rack server how much slower will it be roughly vs my workstation ?

Thanks in advanced :)

Hi all,

I know this may seem a stupid question but hopefully someone can help.

I don't have room for a render farm and just want a cheap node to sit on my desk.

I have been offered the oppterunity to purchase a HP Proliant DL380 G5 with 2 x Xeon e5450 3.0ghz and 32gb ram very cheaply. I would want to use it as a render slave for Vray and Corona however, my workstation is a core i7 4770k with 32gb ram.

I was wondering two things:

1./ When rendering in distributed rendering can i use my workstation and the HP rack server together to render a single frame providing better speed through more buckets, or does one just the server have to render leaving the pc free to be used while rendering. I would like to speed up rendering by combining the two.

2./ If i just render with the HP rack server how much slower will it be roughly vs my workstation ?

Thanks in advanced :)

1. Vray have Distributed Bucket Rendering. In other words you can render with the workstation and your nodes at the same time.

2. Check for yourself.

=1236&cmp[]=1919"]http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1236&cmp[]=1919

• 3 weeks later...

Luke,

In short you need to get set up with network rendering . Your productivity will jump, even if it only means using backburner to queue jobs on your own workstation, but very importantly take Marc Levy's advice above ..if it's a rack server it's intended to be in a server room as they are very noisy. Good luck!

Jesper Pedersen

http://www.pedersenfocus.ie