Final Gather Radius Interpolation Method Missing From 3ds Max 2016!

joshsorrell

I have decided to post my very first question to cgarchitect!

This mental ray question is simple enough, is there any way to get the final gather Radius Interpolation Method option visible in 3ds Max 2016? For some reason (I hope by accident) it has been taken out of the final gather rollout in 2016.

I understand it's a legacy method, but I love using it over final gather point density! I can't understand why it's missing considering it's in the help documents for 2016.

Thank you,

Josh Sorrell

Sorrell studio

• 3 months later...

I don't think it hurts accuracy. I use it for my interior renderings mostly so I can keep the FG solution smooth on the ceilings and other surfaces. I normally make the minimum size 1ft and the max 2ft. This lets me keep the FG settings set to draft except I put the diffuse bounces to 2 or 3. Makes for a nice quick FG solution. It's especially useful when you want a quick smooth solution for animations. Here's a link to what the settings look like in 2015: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h63npq87t4a7pqq/AAAoSdspeyL1dz6nc2DGaeIva?dl=0

I don't think it is in the code any more, it may be hidden but since Mental Ray it been moving away of Final gather for a while I don't think is there any more.

You could always increase the interpolation number to something higher than Ray per FG points, it should produce the same effect.

Having said this, you'll get smooth GI but you'll loose details and prompt your scene to light leaks, Radius interpolation produced the same, but since it was in physical values you could kind of guess where to use to not produce light leaks.

The new universal method is designed to avoid all that guess work and get better GI with less work.