Pretty new to CGA

Guest kabraxisluvos

Guest kabraxisluvos

Hello to all out there on the web!

My name is Dave but on the internet most people know me as Kabraxis.

Some months ago I've started playing the computer game Landmark where you can freely build what ever you like. It's a bit like Minecraft but with way more options to be creative. I really love this game but it's damn hard to get into it because of all the voxel manipulation and stuff. Since I played the game I started to see buildings in a whole new view. I started taking pictures of buildings or structures just to rebuild them in game.

Although it is fun, I'd rather build homes and castles in environment that is more stable than a game. I want to DO something. Something I can maybe show my kids someday, something I can print and put on my wall, not only stuff in a game that might be closed some day, loosing all my work.

Non the less I love gaming and fantasy.

Well, for some time now I'm in search of a suitable program with which I can live out my fantasy and creativity. So far I unfortunately could not find anything fitting on my own, so I turn now to you, hoping that you can help me out.

Some months ago I tried out Zbrush but than somebody told me it's better for character design than for building a house. At least for a total beginner like me.

I'd love to make homes and buildings in 3D. One or the other of you certainly know Unigine Heaven, the benchmark test. I just love those medieval, rustic houses and would love to do something similar on my PC.

Is there a program you would recommand to start with? (No, Blender is not an option)

What sites do you recommand to visit to get started with the tool (basics) and building?

Is there a way to design the buildings without having to grapple me with grids and different textures? I just want to " build " and see directly what I have designed. Sort of like in Landmark.

Best regards

Edited by kabraxisluvos

• 5 months later...

I would also recommend SketchUp. From the name itself, it's pretty much like drawing. Also, for beginners like you there's a whole archive of 3d models to download and use to decorate/enhance your scene.

Once you get comfortable you can try Sketchup extensions like Ambient Occlusion to get photorealistic renderings. It's very user-friendly and fast but gives you a lot of options.

Edited by nicolacandussi

• 5 months later...