Digital Artist Qualifications

colejohns

Im not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but here goes. I am currently an interior design student who has a strong interest in working within the architectural visualization field. Unfortunately it seems that (based on a number of previous discussions and job postings) that programs such as 3DS, VRay, and Rhino are all extremely important within the visualization community. I have extensive knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign, SketchUp, Twilight Render, Revit, and other supplementary photo editing softwares, but am afraid that this won't be enough. As an example, you can check out some of my academic work at http://www.colejohns.wix.com/portfolio. In addition, I am very willing to learn any new software that might be required, I just might not have those qualifications when applying to jobs. Could you all help a newbie out by giving me some advice? Thanks in advance!

One big thing that you need to do is make your images clickable to enlarge them. As a portfolio reviewer I want to see your art in my face, full screen style.

As far as skills go, it really depends on where you want to work. Working in house for an architect, not knowing max and vray aren't as problematic as you might think. If you want to work for a visualization studio, then you might really want to take some time to learn Max. You can get a free student license anytime since you are a student. At least being familiar with Max will give you the best possible chance. You don't have to be a master but if I am going to train you after I hire you, I at least want you to know how to open a file, draw a box, etc. Vray is semi-important but what is more important is that you understand materials and lighting. If you can light in mental ray or corona, then those skills easily translate over to Vray. Rhino is far less important in my opinion. So far to the unimportant side that it should be left out of the discussion. If you are the render guy all you do is export from Rhino to max anyways.

Thanks so much! Great tip on being able to enlarge images. I think I'm so used to dealing with ID firms that care more about process work than final images, that I'm still getting the hang of that type of presentation. Haha. I've been looking over and playing around with Max in my "free time" while in school, but I need to just take a week or so to really start to get into it.

Good to know that it isn't absolutely necessary to know these programs if looking at architectural firms as well (Now I have a few more places to add to the job list). As far as hand rendering goes, what is anyones take on it? Its a passion of mine, but I know some firms are phasing it out, while others are embracing it to the fullest. I figured it might be a useful skill to include, even if someone does only produce a final digital representation. Again, thanks so much for all the great info!

I'm a huge fan of hand rendering. For initial conceptual stuff, you can crank out tons of great material versus what you can do in 3D. It is a skill that is vastly understated these days in architecture. Everyone wants to go 3D, but 3D is expensive to do in the early design phase. It's funny to think that we have to cheat our 3D renders to look hand drawn. Why don't we just draw it by hand in the first place?

You have a really solid body of work for a student. All too often firms these days are expecting students to come out of school and be able to show up first day, sit down, and hit a deadline by lunch that same day. What happened to training? My first job, we had 30 days of training for new junior level artists. I learned so much in that time period and it really set the foundation for my career. I'm always a huge advocate of having some level of training program for junior level artists. Sure, people in training don't produce billable work but the investment almost always pays off huge once they get going.

Its good to hear that there are still some fans of hand-rendering out there, and I'm totally in agreement with you on the idea of making 3-D look hand drawn. Seems so silly. Thanks so much for the compliment on my work as well. It means a lot coming from someone like yourself! I also think its so important to be given training on a subject (or at least seek out education yourself), particularly to those who have been in school for 4 years and have not been working in the "real world". But, we do live in a society where people want things on the spot with no turn around time, especially since a number of people outside the business think its just hitting a button and being done. Thanks again for the awesome advice. Heres hoping a job offer will be coming in the next few months! Cheers!