Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Software

Name
    Derek Jackson
    Forum Username
    Bwana Kahawa

England

Default Re: Software

Gutted about the Autodesk restriction - this looks so interesting. Oh well - looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with!

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Which software are you using?

Name
    Derek Jackson
    Forum Username
    Bwana Kahawa

England

ArchiCAD or FormZ for modelling, Maxwell Render for rendering.

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana Kahawa View Post
    ArchiCAD or FormZ for modelling, Maxwell Render for rendering.
    Using Maxwell is not a problem, however any modelling or set up you do, would still have to be done in an Autodesk product. There are free demos should you still want to try to enter.

Name
    Antonio Suazo
    Forum Username
    antoniosuazo

Chile

Hi Jeff, thanks for all the clarifying responses.
    I'm considering applying for Real-Time category, but I'm having a couple of questions yet:

1. Related to software, it's kind of confusing if it's mandatory to stick to Autodesk (Stingray perhaps?) or no restrictions at all.
    Also, you stated that UE or CRYEngine were acceptable..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mottle View Post
    The rules state you can use "any GPU-accelerated renderer" so you are free to use UE or Cry Engine. Photoshop is also allowed.
    .. so, Is it referred to images? What about real-time?

2. On the material submission side, the rules states that
    Real-Time submissions must be sent as QuickTime MOV or MP4 Videos. Participants should use software like FRAPS or other screen recording software to record the interface and navigation of any real-time scenes
    .. but, again, it's said that criteria on which judges are going to score submissions is "User Experience (Real-Time only)". Does this imply that the screen recording must reflect the experience the user would be confronted to? Is that experience valued more than, for example, materials behaviour?

3. Regarding to specs, rules don't say much about size/resolution of the real-time video. Should I consider the same specs from the Animation Category, like "QuickTime MOV or MP4 format minimum 1920 x 1080 resolution"?

Many thanks beforehand for any help on this, I hope it would be the thread.. and sorry for my english. Ciao!

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

1. Related to software, it's kind of confusing if it's mandatory to stick to Autodesk (Stingray perhaps?) or no restrictions at all.
    Also, you stated that UE or CRYEngine were acceptable.. .. so, Is it referred to images? What about real-time?
    You can use any GPU renderer, however you'd want to submit to one of the GPU image categories if they are images. If you are going to create a real-time you should submit it to the real-time category.

2. On the material submission side, the rules states that .. but, again, it's said that criteria on which judges are going to score submissions is "User Experience (Real-Time only)". Does this imply that the screen recording must reflect the experience the user would be confronted to? Is that experience valued more than, for example, materials behaviour?
    That is correct, in your video you should demonstrate any interactivity and user experiences that you want to communicate. It's too complicated to have participants submit the actual real-time files, so we ask that this is done via video so there is better consistency and it's easier for our judges to review.

3. Regarding to specs, rules don't say much about size/resolution of the real-time video. Should I consider the same specs from the Animation Category, like "QuickTime MOV or MP4 format minimum 1920 x 1080 resolution"?
    Yes, same video specs for the real-time category. I've updated the rules to reflect this.

Name
    Antonio Suazo
    Forum Username
    antoniosuazo

Chile

Wow that was fast! thanks for that

Q 2: Ok, that was the kind of clarification I was waiting for, now I totally understand the video aproach

Q 3: Perfect!, I already assumed that, just checking on this one

Q 1: So, just to be clear (and maybe I'm gonna sound too repetitive, sorry for that).. is Autodesk Software required for applying to Real-Time? I'm trying to think beyond software packages, just to try a WebGL real-time pipeline (I've already managed to create an image sequence out of it, so the only software I would need is for encapsulating that sequence in a .mp4 format). If yes it would be great, because that way I could put together, not just the baked video, but a link to the live original WebGL demo that generated the images in the first place.

thanks again!

Name
    Jeff Mottle
    Forum Username
    Jeff Mottle

Canada

Q 1: So, just to be clear (and maybe I'm gonna sound too repetitive, sorry for that).. is Autodesk Software required for applying to Real-Time? I'm trying to think beyond software packages, just to try a WebGL real-time pipeline (I've already managed to create an image sequence out of it, so the only software I would need is for encapsulating that sequence in a .mp4 format). If yes it would be great, because that way I could put together, not just the baked video, but a link to the live original WebGL demo that generated the images in the first place.
    I think as long as you use some Autodesk software to prepare the model for the real-time software you should be ok, although this is a bit of a grey area. If you let me know what your proposed software and file pipeline looks like, I can get a definitive answer.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information