is there any way Vray could suffice if C4D style was required?

I've been looking at lots of Beeple stuff lately (I assume the guy's work is well known by all?) and I want to start a project with a similar kind of style.

So I figured I should pick up C4D as it seems to have some particular edge in certain areas that I'm still trying to define. Maybe it's with effects and materials? Anyway, the kind of thing I'll be looking to do won't be logo stings or anything, it'll be abstract slightly architectural type stuff.

Some examples:

01-20-16.jpg

01-13-16.jpg

So my question is, given that it may well take ages to learn all this, is there a way that Vray/3ds max could get close to something like this? and if not, what is it that C4D has that Vray doesn't?

Edited by stayinwonderland

• 5 months later...

Well, first of all, C4D is a 3D application, like Max or Maya. Vray is a rendering engine, like Octane or Corona.

I currently use C4D w/ VrayForC4D. Coming from Max, it has become apparent that C4D is better for animations and motion graphics. Its Mograph module is very powerful. You don't get similar functionality in Max without a plug-in.

Also, C4D has been built with a focus on seamless workflow with After Effects. Another proof that C4D is mostly targeted to motion graphics users.

I think with a bit of experimentation and diligence you can create similar art with Max and Photoshop. I've been wanting to do this too.