How to make this pattern with 3ds and vray ?

Marco Manunta

hi guys, my client woke up bad this morning and decided to give to my existence a painful experience sending me this reference image:

690196c06ecd525c1fbb5ddcf181a7fb.jpg

i ve a really a big square to map, but truly, i don't have any idea on which is the best method to achieve that effect with diamonds blended one on the other.

have you any idea that is not modelling the whole surface ? Is there any script/plugin which could help me ? i know omnitiles from VP but i don't have budget to buy it...

thank you !

Perhaps bercontile could help you out? You would still need to paint a mask, but i dont think you are going to get away with any easyer methods. You may want to read this blogpost that explains how you could use it: http://www.klaasnienhuis.nl/2012/01/bercontile-3-02-overview/

What i imagine you could do, is create a bercontile with a multitexture for your diffuse, then plug that into a composite map and create another bercontile on top of that one set to multiply, with a high contranst smoke/noise/a painted mask as the color and the mapping mode set to center mapping as described in the blog post. Then you should get areas with darker tiles.

Not sure if it would work 100 % to your needs, but at least it should be a relatively fast way to get something similar to the image you posted.

thank you Nicolai....

for the moment i found acceptable to make a plane with lots of subdivs, select vertex, chamfer them, inset and detach. I see that the shell modifier is a lot faster than the extrude poly, really a lot faster. So i put a shell and then select a set of diamonds and change their ID randomly (though a simple script)...the result is ok, now the problem is applying a different UVW for each diamond. Maybe multitexture could help me out with this...