Lumion/Vray Exteriors

ipixelrenders

It depends on a lot of factors...most of the work I have seen done with lumion leaves a lot to be desired....and it's not the softwares fault...people just don't know how to use it...on the other hand I've seen just as much terrible stuff done with vray....the real difference is speed....I can do a 15 second animation with Lumion in the same amount of time as doing one still image in vray ...and forget about doing an animation in vray...I don't have weeks to wait around for it to finish rendering....

Straight answer, would be no, Because V Ray is a way more advanced GI and rendering engine than Lumion.

This Realtime-Game main purpose is to produce as quick is possible animations and still images. For that It has a simplified workflow with lost of "Cheat" regarding lighting and materials.

I also agreed that most of the images of lumion lack of post production but, that is the intent of the tool. They say it all the time, it is a tool for not professional visualization users, that need decent image in short time.

Still you could get better images if you spend more time in post, at the end is all about the artist hands. But hopping to compare to any traditional ray tracer engine, it is a little stretch to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Better use Unreal Engine 4 than Lumion. Looks at the showcase projects on Lumion's website, they're not even good!

But even Ue4 cannot compete with vray/corona/octane mostly because of refraction/reflection is lacking right now.

Well, thats why I thought: lumion for exteriors and unreal for interiors. People in the showcase seems to be a little lazzy and I don´t see quality posproductions. I think most people are very accustomed to vray. Sure vray is more powerful but for the everyday work, does not yield more a fast engine as lumion?

firms around here are doing lumion exterior animations for next to nothing so you get what you pay for. seriously, a few firms are doing them for free in the proposal stages.

It's sickening but if a firm needs a 3 minute exterior animation in a week and design along the way, robot people, windy trees and cameras with way too much bloom are what you get.

I don't like this comparison software thread, because it is always about what your guts tell you, you like white, you like red.

But the main issue I see here, is, it all depend what type of project you are doing, and what is your environment or work place. There is not one absolute answer, there is not a perfect rendering tool. It all depends.

You should not only say, "Don't use Lumion and use Unreal because the quality is better" that is only true depending of your time frame and type of project. You can not just lick and drag a monster REVIT file in Unreal and get a incredible real time experience, it is not posible. You need to export that REVIT file, destroy it, re build it, texture, un wrap, optimase, test it, do everything again then you get a nice Unreal, in about one month in half or two, if you are good at it. Besides you'll need lates CPU and GPU to play that sucker. It is possible but really not practical or easy as, just switch from Lumion.

If you are solo at your home, with all the time, sure why not.

Now Lumion can do something pretty decent. it won't be a Bertrand B. rendering, not even a Koola animation, but it will get the job done, in a week, or less, shoot even a day. it will be a nasty careless eternal fly over, but hey, it was done in 10 Hours or less!!

I believe all these incredible tools we have to day, let us do much more that we even dreamed 10 years ago. We just have to find the right place and project to use them, compare them just with the goal of what is more efficient for you work. Saying V Ray is better than lumion it is not correct.

I believe all these incredible tools we have to day, let us do much more that we even dreamed 10 years ago. We just have to find the right place and project to use them, compare them just with the goal of what is more efficient for you work. Saying V Ray is better than lumion it is not correct.

I totally agree with what you said. I think to say if one is better than another isn´t really important. I would like to know if there is people that think as I that GI isn´t essential for exterior scenes and then see this kind of realtime engines as a viable possibility for quality image (leaving video/animation off topic) production. Of course with the corresponding postproduction. I´ve never delved entirely with vray, it has always seemed a slow solution to me until I began to understand the complexity of trying to emulate light in an accurate way. I do some test once with vray su and I ended without sleep to submit. Of course I have not even tried to install maxwell : ). I'm not sure if dedicate some time to learning vray or to keep and move (forward?) , I tried vray rt and didn´t really convince me.