real time rendering of complex 3D city models generated from 3D photogrammetry

fabricemarre

Hi, my name is Fabrice, I'm a new member of the community and I wanted to share what our company does which I think could be interesting for the community. Please let me know if the ost should be moved to another section of the forum.

We generate 3D city models (from a a few hectares to 20 sq km) using aerial 3D photogrammetry techniques (mainly helicopter and fixe wing aircraft as drones are not allowd to fly over populated area for commercial use in Australia).

This kind of data is then used as a base information where new building designs can be integrated and visualized in context. Our 3D models are geographically accurate so measurements can be performed and used for urban planning and design.

Our 3D models are very complex mesh but some specific software are able to handle the data in real-time such as Skyline TerraExplorer, LumenRT, Urban Engine, infraworks.

This is an example of a subset of Adelaide, Australia integrated in LumenRT and enhanced with additional assets.

We are currently experimenting the integration of our 3D city models with Unreal Engine with limited success due to the fact that UE doesn't deal with quadtree Level of Details for 3D meshes.

We are also exploring the use of VR with UE also with limited success.

Here is a demo from Yugen where interactive 3D spaces of interiors are complemented with 3D city models. It would then be possible to interactively visity both inside and the outside of a new developments.

Our experience with the architecture visualization world is limited and I'd like to hear from the community how this kind of 3D models could be of any benefits.

our general YouTube channel is:

http://youtube.com/aerometrex/

Cheers,